Chapter Twenty Two

"What?" Kingsley asked as he picked up the call.

"Come over, I'm making lamb chops," replied Roan.

"I'll pass, I'm staying in tonight. I've made some kale juice, I'm going to detoxify and read a book," Kingsley said.

"You mean you're going to eat pizza and drink beer while watching a trashy R rated movie, right?" Roan retorted.

"Oh babe, you know me so well." Kingsley grinned. Kingsley lowered the volume of the show he was watching, afraid Roan would hear it.

"What are you— are you watching Real Housewives?" Roan asked.

"No..."

"You are, aren't you?"

"You don't get to judge me, okay? You and Kai have seen every single season of The Bachelor! That's not any better!" Kingsley defended himself.

"I'll see you at the gym tomorrow."

Roan hung up the call after that, Kingsley rolled his eyes as he kept his phone on the table in front of him before making himself comfortable on the couch.

Kingsley was having a good day. He had decided that he was going to relax the entire weekend. No work, no partying, no drama. He was going sit at home, order take-out, and watch random reality shows mindlessly in his boxers.

Kingsley was on his seventh episode of the day, when his phone rang. He raised his arm, trying to grab the phone from the table, but failed. He sighed, feeling lazy. Getting up seemed like too much effort, so he decided to ignore it. Whoever it was could wait.

He eventually fell asleep on the couch itself, and woke up around three hours later. He rubbed his eyes as he sat up straight, before finally grabbing his phone to check his notifications.

Kingsley almost dropped his phone in surprise when he saw that he had a missed call from his ex, Cole, and that he had left a voicemail.

Kingsley hadn't spoken to Cole in years. Cole had suggested staying friends after the break up, but Kingsley was too hurt, and definitely too petty for that. He loved Cole with all of his heart, and still did when Cole broke up with him, so being just friends was never an option for him.

Kingsley pressed his lips in a thin line as he contemplated between listening to the message or straightaway deleting it. He didn't want Cole back in his life, especially when he knew that the man was engaged to his ex best friend. He wanted that skeleton to remain in the closet.

Kingsley eventually decided to listen to the voicemail. He justified it by thinking that maybe it was some sort of emergency. Why else would Cole contact him after all these years?

"Hey, uh, Reece. I know we haven't spoken in years but...I'm in New York right now for a meeting and I was wondering if you wanted to meet? I'm flying back tomorrow morning but I get free tonight around 7. I'm staying at The Grand, if you, uh, if you'd like to meet then I'd be at the hotel bar at 8. I hope to see you, uh, bye."

Kingsley listened to the message again. And then again. Cole was in town and wanted to meet? There was no way Kingsley would do that. He looked at the clock, and it was already seven thirty.

Fuck, Kingsley thought to himself as he got up, what's yet another idiotic decision?

Kingsley didn't really have the time to take a bath, but he didn't want to show up looking like a mess so he quickly took a two minute shower. He dressed up in a black shirt and pants, and a black trench coat on top of it. He ruffled his hair to get the messy look, and unbuttoned the top three buttons.