Chapter Eleven

"Come on in," Miles said, welcoming Kingsley inside his apartment.

"Nice," Kingsley whistled as he looked around, "I like this better than your old place."

Miles had recently moved into a new building, and had invited Kingsley, Nina, and Anwar over. He invited a couple of older colleagues too, but they politely excused themselves from it.

"Thanks, so do I," Miles replied.

"Didn't know what we were drinking so I got both," Kingsley said as he handed Miles a bottle of wine and a six pack of beer. His idea of a housewarming present.

"I actually made margaritas."

"Ooh, cocktail night," Kingsley grinned, "you tryna impress Nina?"

"Dude, sh," Miles nervously looked back, "she's already here with Anwar."

"My bad," Kingsley chuckled.

It was a weekday and they all had work in the morning, but Nina wasn't free on the weekend so Miles, obviously, decided to shift his house warming to a day when Nina could make it as well.

Kingsley had planned on leaving early, right after dinner. And not drinking much. He had been recently going to work with a hangover more often than he liked. But it was almost midnight and all four of them were still sitting around the table, drinking and talking.

Miles decided to showcase his talents and made some experimental cocktails. Apparently he had done a bartending course in college. Kingsley was actually impressed, and so was Nina.

"So, are you going to tell us what's happening?" Anwar asked Kingsley, who just looked at him in confusion.

"What do you mean?" Kingsley questioned back.

"Come on, dude, all the overtime and working alone with the boss," Anwar paused, "and all these meetings? I think we all know what's going on."

"And what is that?" Kingsley asked, he didn't know why but his heart had started beating faster. He blamed the alcohol.

"Are there going to be lay offs?" Anwar asked.

"That is what you think is happening?" Kingsley blinked, finally relaxing. It was weird considering he and Lorenzo hadn't even done anything. Yet. Apart from their teasing and passive flirting, of course.

"What else? You've both been hella secretive since you started working directly with Lorenzo and you both keep going to investor meetings," Anwar clarified, "if people are gonna lose their jobs then we ought to know, man."

"What am I hearing about lay offs?" Miles pitched in, "I can't lose my job, dude, I just got this apartment."

"There aren't going to be any lay offs," Kingsley sighed, "I'm not at liberty to discuss what I've been working on with Mr. Salazar, it's confidential."

"Alright, keep your secrets," Anwar replied. He was just glad to know he wouldn't be losing his job. Apart from that, he didn't really care what Lorenzo and Kingsley were working on and what all the investment meetings were for.

"Do you want to bet on how long it takes these two to finally get together?" Kingsley said as he motioned towards Nina and Miles.

They were once again busy in their own little world near the mini bar where Miles was making their next round of drinks. They were gazing into each other's eyes as they talked, Nina was leaning forward and Miles had a toothy grin the entire time.

"Watching these two is worse than reading a romance novel where the protagonists finally kiss in the last chapter," Anwar sighed.

"What?"