Chapter 49

A/N: Do me a little favor? Comment on how you found Hunt Me Down. Was it recommended to you by a friend? Do you follow me? Have you read another book by me (which one?) and decided to give this a shot? Was it something else? Thank you! <3

*****

Hunter's POV

The time was nearing.

It was December 31 and there was less than a quarter of an hour left until midnight. Aunt Betty had called for me to join her, the steaks, the brownies and a bottle of cheap champagne downstairs, but I'd told her I had other plans and stayed in my room.

Eleven minutes.

Would he come?

I knew he'd try to, but would he succeed?

That over-possessive mother of his was a huge hindrance; if she could keep him in her pocket, she would.

Nine minutes.

It was a whole miracle she didn't send him to a vet to implant one of those microscopic electronic pet trackers on him or keep him on a leash. Maybe I could convince him to put on a collar for me...

Six minutes.

We'd have to start with something more conventional though; I couldn't have him tied to my bed for his first time...

Five.

... Could I?

I sat up in my bed and looked towards the window; his room was still dark. My eyes fell on the screen of my phone once more: four minutes.

My fingers started drumming on my knee.

Come on, Nathaniel, don't leave me hangin' here! I silently urged in my mind. Do this for me and show me that you care enough about me to oppose your parents. Show me that you can muster up that courage again; I've seen you do it for Val. You will eventually have to do it for yourself... If you are not ready yet, then do it for me... For us...

Two minutes.

*****

Nathaniel's POV

"I would not go around the house, carrying a bag of chips; it's just not me," I told Val as she pushed me through the kitchen door. "Mom will suspect something's up; I'm too tidy to eat while walking."

"Well, she's not in the kitchen and she has to see you eat," she replied, shoving me again. I stumbled forward. I should start working out; my sister was manhandling me like a weightless rag-doll.

"If you are putting on a show, you have to set the stage first," she added wisely and I jumped to the side when she raised her hands to drive me further into the hallway. "It won't be believable if she doesn't see you stuffing yourself silly."

"Who is stuffing themselves silly?"

I jumped up at her voice, some of the chips leaping out of the open bag.

"Oh, sweetie, be careful! You are spilling them all over the floor."

"I'm sorry, mom." I crouched to gather the escapees. Some of them broke as I picked them up, leaving tiny crumbs and salt on the floor. "I'll go get a broom."

"No need to; I was about to clean up with the vacuum anyway," my parent waved her hand at me.

"You cleaned yesterday," Val pointed out.