Chapter 55

A/N: Thank you to all who took part in WIN a Dedication! You voted, I uploaded; what do you think of the new cover?

PS: To those of you who've read The Green Girl and Frost on the Green - they also have new covers; what do you think of them?

*****

Nathaniel's POV

I felt as if everyone had their eyes on us. Perhaps because it was true. I couldn't blame them though; it wasn't as if you saw on daily basis two guys holding hands in the hallway of your school.

It started before we even got in the building, before we approached the parking lot. The boys pointed, the girls leaned closer to each other and gossiped... I think a few even took pictures of us. I was trying not to pay attention to them but with every step we took to get closer to our place of learning, my heart beat got faster and my breathing more shallow.

I licked my lips for a hundredth time and enveloped my left arm around my torso. Hunter was firmly folding onto my right hand.

Hunter.

He seemed completely unperturbed by being in the limelight. His footsteps were even and his shoulders relaxed. Unlike me, he didn't avoid our schoolmates' gaze; he stared right back at them.

Perhaps 'calm' wasn't the right way to describe him after all. There was a certain hint of defiance in his steely eyes, a challenge to everyone who dared to speak against us in our face.

I dreaded what he would do if someone was stupid enough to take him up on that challenge.

I turned my head to look behind me, at my sister.

When I told Vallery what Hunter and I planned for today and she replied with 'I have your back', I didn't know she meant it literally.

From home to here, she'd walked behind us. Right now she had her hands balled into fists and was busy at glaring at... well, everyone.

The group of girls who were waiving in our direction?

She glared at them.

The two football players who turned around when they saw us and suddenly got fascinated with the nearby tree?

She glared at them; they didn't even see her, but she glared.

The guy who spit on the ground as we passed by him?

The glare turned murderous and I let go of Hunt to grab a hold of my twin before she took another step towards the disgusted boy.

I only released her when we neared the outer stairs. Hunter intertwined his fingers with mine again and Val took her previous place, guarding us from behind.

We climbed the first step of the stairs.

I had not seen anyone I was friends with yet. Then again, I wasn't very popular and didn't have many friends.

Second step.

Would the reactions of the people inside be worse than those out in the yard?

Forth step.

It would be more crowded in there so it will be harder to keep track of everyone. That was good because...

Fifth step.

... I wouldn't have to deal with everyone's reaction at the same time, but also bad as someone might surprise us by throwing something at us.

Seventh step.