Chapter 31

A/N: If you didn’t hate me before, you are going to hate me now…

Oh, and just a reminder: there are six days left to enter my short story/one-shot competition and win a review from me and get my help in advertizing your work. If you are interested, read my book The Contests Book, chapter December challenge.

*****

Nathaniel’s POV

“Slow down, will you?”

Slow down?

Vallery was actually asking me to slow down?

Well, of course she would! She wasn’t the one who woke up married to a member of the same gender. Was that even real? We had to find out. We had to, and if it was for real, we had to make it right, we had to get divorced before we left Vegas.

I released an expletive and sped up. I didn’t even bother stopping to apologize to the woman I rammed with my shoulder as I passed by her.

“The chapel isn’t going away, bro,” Val pointed out but her calm demeanor only served to fuel my anger further.

How could she not care about this?

If mom and dad were to find out… Oh, Lord, if they found out! And what about the rest of the family?

I could already picture Great Aunt Sarah going red in the face and screaming ‘Disgusting!’ at me. What if she stopped funding dad’s research?

It was all my fault; I shouldn’t have drunk even that first beer.

I ran into the chapel – the same one we’d binged in front of last night – and began to frantically look around for the priest. If anyone could tell us how to get out of our predicament, it would be him.

“Where is that damn man?” I shouted after a few minutes of searching.

“You probably shouldn’t use that language in a chapel, Nathaniel.”

Oh, did I mention that Hunter – like Val – had taken this too calmly?

How come he was not panicking?

My heart beat at a speed an Olympic runner would envy and my hands were sweating; Hunter was leaning on the frame of the door, next to my sister, his face devoid of emotion.

Footsteps sounded behind me and I turned around. A sigh escaped my lips – the sound of relief – as the robes of the man showed he was exactly who I’d came here to see.

“Father, we need to speak to you,” I addressed him as I approached the altar where he stood. The priest rearranged his glasses, a politely curious expression on his wrinkled face. “I think that we got married last night,” I began to explain. “That is to say me and…” I hesitated before I pointed to Hunter; Vallery had not moved, but the boy was now sitting on the front right bench. “… me and him. I was drunk, Father; we both were…”

The man nodded and raised a hand to keep me quiet.

“Now, my son,” he began with a voice that would’ve been soothing any other day but today. The man gestured for me to sit down and waited for me to do so before he continued.

“Tell me everything, from the start, and calmly.”

“I did something stupid,” I began. “I had a few drinks – I don’t usually drink, but…”