Chapter 14

A/N: Do You Want To Win A Review – the one-chapter book where I explain the rules and how to enter the Halloween Special contest is already on my profile. I’ll give you a link in the first comment to this chapter :)

*****

Valery’s POV

“What’s with the long face, bro?” I asked, leaning on my locker and angling my body towards him. Are you upset that Lady Satan is coming over this weekend? And just in time for Halloween too!”

“It’s not because Great Aunt Sarah is coming to America. I think Irene is still avoiding me. I think…” He hesitated. “I think she’s even taking alternative routes to classes just so we wouldn’t walk together. We always used to run into each other before.”

“It’s Monday and we’ve only had a couple of classes so far” I tried to cheer him up but to no avail. “Do you want me to keep an eye on her today?”

“Keep an eye on her?” He repeated, taking a large book from his locker and placing it in his messenger bag.

“Yeah, I can follow her around, see if she really is going out of her way not to be around you.”

His hand froze mid-air just as a couple of notebooks were about to follow the same fate as his book.

“You mean stalking?”

“It’s not stalking; it’s observation,” I corrected.

“It is stalking, Val,” he contradicted and placed the notebooks in his bag.

Observation,” I emphasized. “So do you want me to or not?”

“I don’t know; it doesn’t seem right.” He scratched the back of his head. “And I should probably talk to her myself…”

“Yeah, but it might turn out to be nothing. And if it is just your imagination, you’ll look like an idiot.” He flinched at the thought of that. “Let me watch her; just for today. I’ll be subtle about it,” I added as he was about to protest.

“Fine,” he agreed, closing his locker. “But just for today.”

“Great!” I extended my hand towards him with the palm up. “Now give me some cash.”

“What for?”

“I’ll need a wig, a pair of dark glasses and new clothes to stalk her without her recognizing me.”

“I thought you said it was an observation,” he pointed out, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Just kidding,” I ruffled his hair.

“About it being an observation or about you needing money?”

“Bro, I always need money. But I don’t want any from you… Now. And I’m not buying a wig but I could use new sunglasses.”

“It’s almost the end of October, Val. What do you need sunglasses for?”

“As an accessory,” Hunter – who had just walked behind my brother – replied instead of me.

Nat’s hands darted up to smooth the hair I’d disorganized with my affectionate gesture.

“Hey,” he muttered as a greeting.

“Hey,” Hunt replied and I gave him a hug. “Won’t I get one from you?” He tried the same thing that had gotten him no previous result with my brother.