Chapter 22

Personal note: I want to apologize if my work lately seems lacking. In less than a month there were two funerals in my real life, another two elderly relatives were hospitalized and a couple of days ago I found out that the growth I’ve had on my eye for months isn’t going to “disappear on its own” as my GP had previously assured me, but will have to be surgically removed. I try to concentrate on the good things such as the coming holidays and my new baby cousin being healthy but I’ve been rather apathetic lately and I’m afraid that sinks into my writing. Being on wattpad helps though because of all of you who vote and mainly because of those of you who comment; you manage to distract me and even make me laugh. I swear I got all giddy when a few days back Hunt Me Down rated #55 – the best this story has gotten so far and the highest any of my books have rated lately. SO THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE, READING AND SUPPORTING MY WORK AND CHEERING ME UP!

*****

Hunter’s POV

“N-nothing,” he stuttered and I immediately knew he was lying.

I observed him as he lowered his reddened face, his eyes landing on his sparkly clean white sneakers. What kind of a teenager had clean sneakers?

The way these things attracted dirt and mud even during a dry season was almost magical; just moments after you put them on, they already needed to be washed. But not with Nathaniel.

Everything about him was always in mint condition. His room was tidy like a photo from a magazine and the same diligence was applied to his locker at school; his clothes were never stained or wrinkled, his hair was never a mess… Or maybe it was a mess when he’d just woken up. I’d love an opportunity to find out!

I leaned back in the garden chair, taking him all in. Even when disquieted and with his head down, he still kept a straight posture. The blush was slowly fading out of his cheeks and I couldn’t help but notice how soft his features were; soft eyes, soft gaze, soft-looking lips… One day I’d taste them, but for now I’d simply watch them and the rest of his handsome face. Such soft features indeed, except for the well-defined jaw line – a manly trait to what would have otherwise been a feminine face.

The lips parted slightly as if he had something to say; a nervous lick followed the movement before he rose from his seat, took the now empty soda can and threw it in a garbage bin.

“I better get inside,” he said as he came back to the garden table. “I have to study.”

“On a Friday night?” I questioned then shook my head; typical Nathaniel, I shouldn’t be surprised. “Will you help me with my homework this weekend?”

My question seemed to take him aback and it probably should; I wasn’t an exemplary student. As a matter of fact, the only reason I was retaking senior year was in hopes that having a diploma would help me find a job and take me off Aunt Betty’s shoulders. She’s been nice enough to accept me when my own parents despised me – a feeling I returned – and I didn’t want to be a burden to her. A high school graduate didn’t sound as good as a college one, especially when you’ve done time, but at least it was something.

“You are a year ahead so I’m not sure I’d be able to help,” his voice rose at the last few words, making what he said sound like a question.

“It’s with an essay for English class. Something tells me you are good with that,” I replied with a wink.

“Okay,” he turned his head towards their front door. “We’ll arrange something for tomorrow afternoon.”

“Okay,” I agreed and stayed in my seat until he walked inside their house. Once Nat was out of sight, I got up; no point in hanging here when he was gone.