Chapter 17

A/N: Hunter’s POV, at last! Interesting fact: both Nat and Hunt were supposed to be secondary characters in stories I came up with before Hunt Me Down. More on that in the A/N below ;)

PS: Do you like the new cover?

*****

Hunter’s POV

“That was one Hell of a comeback!” Cameron panted, too exhausted to move.

“That it was,” I agreed, rolling off his back and lying next to him on the linen white sheets of the hotel bed. “We had a lot to catch up on.”

“What kept you away for so long?” He asked, still on his stomach, turning only his head towards me. “Anyone interesting?”

“Not really,” I lied without batting an eyelash.

“What about that neighbor of yours? The boy?” He pressed. “The one that saw us, I mean. He won’t tell, right?”
“He won’t tell,” I reassured him. “I’m over boys; I prefer grown up men,” I caressed the naked skin of the back of his leg to distract him from talking about Nat. It didn’t work.

“Newbie wasn’t any good then?” He asked.

“You’ve rented a room for us and you want to talk about some kid? And that,” my hand moved upwards to his butt, “when I’m still hungry for you.”

The thought about another round of our grown-up activities brought a smile to his face.

“Can I be on top this time?” He purred, his eyes smoldering.

“No.”

*****

Lighting up a cig on my way home, I pulled the hood of my cream-colored sweatshirt up to protect me from the drizzle. The sidewalk was illuminated by the shine from the streetlights and the many shops that were neatly fitted one right next to the other. They were the reason why this part of town was called the shopping district. It was also a home to establishments such as restaurants and the Barritone hotel – the place where Cameron usually took me. He couldn’t bring me to his house for two reasons: one – he had not come out yet, and two – his family would phone the police as soon as I lay foot in their yard; I wasn’t their sort of person. So going to his place was a no-no.

The same applied to my Aunt’s house because Cam was too scared Betty and the neighbors might see us. But this district – it was alive even now around midnight and the crowds that filled it were so diverse, no one would think twice about me being here.

The hotel was a bit different. Catering mostly to the upper classes, the staff would look at me at the corner of their eyes to make sure I didn’t run off with some of their fancy decorations or one of their patrons’ wallets. So yes, I stood out, but they could never know exactly which of their guests I was visiting; Cam always got the same room so I went straight there, not stopping at the reception to inquire about him. I bet some – if not all – of the staff thought I was a gigolo; I only came at dark and left just a few hours after my arrival. Not that I cared about what they thought; unlike Cam, I wouldn’t have a problem with the two of us making out in the lobby for everyone to see.

I shook my head.

He was a grown-up man, yet he still hid what he was. I could understand if he was some insecure kid but…