Chapter 4

A/N: Dedicated to RubyofRaven. Thank you for all your support

*****

Nathaniel’s POV

A loud groan left my lips as I slumped down on the bed in my room and covered my head with my pillow.

First on that street, then in my new school, and now in our new house. What was next? Moving into my room?

“Want some company over there?” His voice seemed to come from my right.

I slowly removed the pillow from my face but dared not to turn my head towards the window.

“Natty, I asked you a question,” he said in a teasing manner. I didn’t respond. “Oh, well, I guess Natty didn’t hear me. Then I’ll just have to come over and ask again…”
“No!” I shouted, jumping off the bed.

Hunter smirked through his window. He had his back on the wooden frame, one of his legs casually swaying outside, the other rooted to the sill.

How grand: he wasn’t moving into my room, he only had his next to mine.

I’ll have to ask Val to switch with me when she comes back, I thought and sighed; we’d only just finished unpacking and arranging our belongings and now we would have to do that again.

“Oh, Natty, what are you thinking about?”

“It’s Nathaniel or Nat, not Natty; I’m not five. How much older than me are you anyway?”

 “You didn’t reply to my question.” He tilted his head to the side. “Why should I reply to yours?”

“I was wondering what we are having for dinner,” I replied, looking at my feet.

“You are a terrible liar, has anyone ever told you that?”

“Vallery,” I admitted. “All the time.”

“Do you try to lie a lot?”

“No,” I resented, my gaze on him again.

“Ah, so that’s why you need practice. Now back on track: what were you thinking about?”

“Is it that important?”

“I’m curious. Besides, you refuse to tell me and that makes me even more curious.” He scratched the light stubble on his chin.

“I was thinking about switching rooms with Val,” I admitted.

“Do I frighten you that much?”

“No. Maybe just a little bit.” His lips curled up. “Do you want to scare me?”

“A little bit of fear is useful; it will help you know your place.”

“My place?”

“I’m on top; you are bottom.”

“What the Hell makes you think you are better than me?” I asked and felt my face burn up.

“You didn’t get the double meaning?”

“Double meaning?” I repeated.

He swiftly turned around so that both of his legs were now hanging out. I started forward – a silly instinct to try and catch him if he were to fall through his window. Silly indeed as one – I would not be fast enough to do so, and two – our windows were somewhat six feet away from each other so he was out of my reach.