Chapter 11

Glorious morning

Glory was far too busy to deal with the Nuances of being the head of the rainwing armies, as well as deal with the seawing princess whenever she asked impossible things from her. It was annoying how much she did that. And it was more annoying how this time she was asking Glory personally.

Who else could get the rainwings in tip-top fighting shape? Who else knew exactly how much venom to spit and where in order to get an enemy out of combat but not dead? Who else was willing to actually let the rainwings be rainwings in their own way?

No one, not even the other rainwings would manage their armies right, Glory had tried getting everyone from Scarlet herself to rainwing generals, but she'd never found one that could actually help them.

And now Tsunami, who knew perfectly well that Glory had better things to do, was trying to drag her on a random mission that would most likely not even help with the war effort. Just like the last three ones, including the failed operation to steal the Soulreader from the enemy.

And so, instead of cooperating with Tsunami's idea of collecting her, Glory hid, camouflaging her scales and sitting in the corner as an act of defiance. The morning began and exactly when she expected, Tsunami arrived, a calm storm of blue scales ready to try her most persuasive methods.

She burst through the doorway expecting Glory to still be asleep or something. Well, not today. Tsunami's mistake had been telling her beforehand.

Glory watched as Tsunami examined the room from every angle possible, eventually shaking her head, and turning around, "Glory, we found a weird-looking dragon, and he might have a whole lot of friends so we're going to the ice kingdom to find them. I guess I'll bring someone more useful then, like Chameleon. Just letting you know in case we all die."

Glory sighed, "you idiot. If you get killed, there's no one to save the seawings from your sister."

Tsunami turned back around triumphantly, realizing too late that she still didn't know where Glory was. "Are you offering to come? I wouldn't expect that from you."

Glory snorted, moving silently across the room, "I'm only telling you to pick someone better than Chameleon. Who do you expect to scout for you?"

Tsunami nodded, "all good points. Are you sure you don't want to come? It would really throw Soulseer for a loop if a whole new tribe just appeared on our side of this war."

Glory sighed, "how sure are you of its authenticity? This dragon could just be a hybrid or a rainwing on the other side."

"I'm very sure."

Glory sighed and turned visible, "I guess I'm coming, someone's gotta be careful. I'm assuming you already got Puddle on my duties?"

"Yep. let's go, I got you last because I knew it would take the longest."

Glory shook her head, "now why would you know that."

---

Glory looked at Echo with an expert eye, if anyone knew that he certainly wasn't a rainwing in disguise, it was her. And she had to admit, Tsunami was right, though she would never tell her that to her face. Echo was definitely not a rainwing, first of all; Rainwings couldn't get ears that big, and he was completely the wrong shape for it, his tail was more sturdy than that of a curled rainwing one, and he was certainly too small. His eyes were a uniform blue that reminded Glory of the coldest nights and he had an air about him that screamed 'different? I'm like nothing you've ever seen before.'

If he really lived in caves, then Glory wondered if that was what the ears were for, they were so large they probably were used for hearing the echoes against the cave walls. A useful adaptation if the ears weren't just for show. Glory found everything about the Cavewing almost fascinating, like an interesting rock. It was so strange to be able to talk to the subject of her curiosity though, but it wasn't like Echo talked much.

As Tsunami made sure that everyone was well and truly ready to leave, She didn't seem to notice that pretty much everyone except Echo and Cactus didn't want to be there; The mudwing kept looking to the south anxiously. The Nightwing, Starflight, had completely withdrawn into himself and Glory wasn't sure if she'd heard him talk once this entire time. The small sandwing seemed to be curious about the strange dragon, but not overly happy about something.

Overall, the only one who seemed to think that this was a good idea was Tsunami, and she thought a lot of bad things were good. At least she didn't repeat the team from last time. Glory was still trying to find reasons to avoid Moth, who didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with spouting out tales of all her 'accomplishments' to any who would listen. Glory would much rather forget that night.

By some miracle, eventually, Tsunami got everyone a few bags -with a copious amount of blankets- and they were in the air moments later, wanting to get this over with as soon as dragonly possible. Which was a good sign, at least they could agree on something.