The Underworld

We looked up at the gold letters lining the building: DOA RECORDING STUDIOS. Underneath, carved in the doors: no solicitors, no loitering, no living. The last rule was gonna be a problem because we are all alive and well.

I think.

The lobby was full of people.

"Okay. You remember the plan." Percy says, turning toward us.

"The plan." I sighed. "Yes, I remember the plan."

"What do we do if the plan doesn't work?" Grover asked.

"Not die?" I offered.

Grover gulped.

"If it makes you feel better, you won't have to travel far to the underworld if you do die. We would already be there." Annabeth said, reaching for the door handle.

I had a feeling that it didn't make Grover feel better.

We walked into the DOA lobby.

The first thing I noticed was that nobody inside moved much or talked. Some sat on the coaches, and others stood and stared out the windows. They were also weird to look at. As we walked toward the security guard, I caught a person's eye. When we looked at each other, their body seemed to be transparent, almost see-through. I chose to ignore it and focus on the mission.

We looked up at the security guard. His podium was raised slightly. He was tall and elegant, with dark skin and blond hair that was buzz cut. He was wearing a beige suit.

I read his name tag but before I could say anything Percy called out, "Your name is Chiron?"

The guard leaned across the desk. I could see my own reflection in his glasses. He smiled slightly, it weirdly gave me comfort. He spoke in an English accent, "Tell me, do I look like a centaur?"

"No?"

"No sir." The guard said.

"No sir," Percy repeated.

He ran his finger under the letters. "It says C-H-A-R-O-N. Say it with me, all of you. CARE-ON."

"Charon." We all answered slowly.

"Well done." He sat back. "Now how may I help you little dead ones?"

We all looked at Annabeth.

"We want to go to the Underworld." She answered smoothly.

"Well, that's refreshing."

"It is?" Grover asked.

"No screaming and crying." He looked at us. "How did you die, then?"

Grover nudged me.

"Uh," I said, "Um... fell...tall building."

"All four of you?" He asked, a look of pity on his face.

We nodded.

"So young." Charon looked upset." Well, I don't suppose you have coins for passage. Children never die prepared. You'll have to take a seat for a few centuries."

"Oh, we have coins." Percy set four gold drachmas on the counter.

"Well then." Charon licked his lips. "I haven't seen these in..."

His fingers hovered over the coins. I held my breath.

He looked back up. "Here now," he said. "You couldn't read my name correctly. Are you dyslexic, lad?"

Stupid Percy, not being able to read right.

"No," Percy said. "I'm dead."

He didn't even answer the question.