18•

Girls who love too much, tap in😔

"They all gone," I ask Durk, holding onto Tay. He's asleep, and has his arms wrapped around me completely. He's so cute. And small. And a breath of fresh air, away from all these killers and thugs. I hope he stays.

"Nah," Vroy says, holding his gun to Tay's head,

"Chill," I say, smacking it away.

"Lex, he's an oop," Vroy responds in frustration. I roll my eyes.

"V, he's just a kid. They forced him, he ain't make the decision." I caress Tay's head and press a kiss on his forehead. "He's innocent."

"Innocent my ass. Word around town, nigga named Tay-k done shot and killed an entire family. That's why his ass in Florida."

"He wouldn't do that."

"Nobody thought a 13 year old would kill their own father but look at Wickman," Durk says.

"Dead," I mumble.

"Dead?" I look at Vroy confused. How did he not see his body.

"Nardo is dead," I repeat, sitting up. "Right?"

"Ian see his body," Vroy says and Durk nods.

"He was getting shot at, but Ian find shit when I was looking for him."

"Maybe he escaped."

Or maybe they took him hostage. Maybe Chris wanted to be the one to kill him, personally. Maybe Chris took him to Diddy's grave and buried him alive. Or shot him and buried him right next to his father. Nardo was right, books do help with gang shit.

"What if they just took him," I say. Everybody looks at me.

"But why?"

"To hold someone hostage. He was tryna get me but," I pause looking down at my leg. "I got away."

"Why the hell would he not just kill him on spot?"

"Cuz Chris wanted to do it himself. Were they shooting at Nardo, or were they just shooting around him? Think about it."

"You sound dumb-"

"She has a point tho, D," Reggie says. "None of us saw Chris. How we know he even behind it? What if it was the Grizzlies?"

"The Grizzlies?"

"It's the gang ya mama man was for. Been having smoke with Wickman since he took over."

"Why?"

"Tee was the nigga that was supposed to take over after the old leader. Wick beat him to it. He became Grizzley."

"So why is he called Wickman and Wick, and not just Grizzley?"

"Cuz, Wickman didn't want to be thought of as grizzley or even compared to the old leader. He would always use the term Wicked, and so we called him Wick."

"So if he's dead that makes me," I question.

"The wicked witch."

I look down at Tay who shuffles and twitches in his sleep.

"Let's just ask him who sent him," I say, shaking Tay.

"He's not gon say shit. His ass prolly gon just lie,"Vroy says, folding his arms.

"Stop being sassy," I say, as Tay opens his eyes. "It's worth a try."

"Mama," he says tiredly. "Is that you?"

"No, Tay. It's just Alex."

His face saddens, and I cup his face.

"Oh, sorry."

"It's okay. Can I ask you something?"

"Man the nigga thought yo 14 year old looking ass was his mama. He ain't gon be able to answer shit," Durk says and I throw a pillow at him.

"Quiet. Matter of fact, get out. All of you," I say, like I'm their leader. They all just look at each other and start laughing. "Get the fuck out now."

I don't smile, I glare. Durk is the first to leave and then Vroy.

"Ion wanna leave you in here with him," Reggie says, still standing in front of me.

"I'll be fine, go," I say.

"But-"

"That's an order, nigga."

He nods and slowly walks out the room.

"I'm sorry about them," I say, sitting him up.

"It's okay, they're funny," he giggles. "But scary."

"What you mean by scary?"

"The one with the big bug eyes tried to kill me. And the one with the big forehead threw me down the stairs," he explains.

"Vroy threw you down the stairs," I ask, not believing what I just heard. He threw a child down the stairs.

"That's the one with the Alien head," he asks and I nod.

"He's related to the coneheads," I respond making him laugh loudly.

"That's my mom's favorite movie," he says, looking sad again.

"What happened to your mom?"

"They took me from her. I haven't seen her in months. She had leukemia. She's probably dead."

"Awe baby," I say, pulling him into my arms. "I'll take you to go see her once we know it's safe okay?"

"Promise?"

"I promise, Tay," I respond, kissing his forehead. "But my question is, who were you working for?"

"I truthfully don't know. I been in this gang since birth basically, since my dad passed away, he couldn't pay his dues. So I had to."

"You don't have to at all, Tay. That was your father's decision, not yours," I say, seeing him tear up. "God, that's so unfair."

"I'm so tired of doing this," he says, staring into space.

"Robbing. Killing. Lying. I just wish I could live without having fear of dying or getting a life sentence."

"You can. Ya see, Nardo is gone. So I'm taking over this place. I'm gonna make sure Chris is dealt with and then I'm gonna convince them to stop killing."

"Nardo was the one with the wicks that Savage killed in the driveway?"

My eyes go wide. It was Tony who they were talking about.

"No, I think that was Tony," I respond, wiping tears from my eyes. At least I know Chris probably ain't behind this. But whoever is, is gonna pay. Tony was too good of a man to die. Especially like that.

"I think the leader name is Kentrell or something like that. Everybody call him YoungBoy. I said I don't know him because we never met. Never even heard his voice."

That's the dude Durk and Von kept talking about.

"Why did y'all do this?"

"Said it was time to get even."

"Even, for what?"

"Some man named Wick killed his mom."

"Oh my gosh," I whisper as my heart aches for Kentrell. I couldn't imagine losing my mom. And I hope Tay won't have to go through that.

Shit, I hope I don't either.