Chapter 4 | Serve and Protect

4 | Serve and protect

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty".

Lilith drove her Mustang past the gates, which led to Wayne Manor

Lilith drove her Mustang past the gates, which led to Wayne Manor. It had started to snow and patches of white snowflakes were scattered across the freshly cut grass and by the side of the road.

Two lions, sculpted out of green bronze, loyally guarded the entrance to the house.

She parked a couple of meters ahead by the circular fountain and shut off the engine before walking out. Snowflakes were falling from the sky and were caught by a small breeze. Some of them landed on her hair and there they stayed until they melted.

Alfred was already at the door with a welcoming smile on his lips. "Good afternoon, Miss Khin". Once again, his British accent managed to comfort her.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Pennyworth," she greeted with a warm smile in return.

"Just Alfred, Miss," the butler said and made a gesture with his hand towards the Manor. "Please, come inside. I saw you coming down the road and put the kettle on".

Lilith gladly entered the house and was enveloped by its warmth and memories of a family, who had been nothing but kind to her.

It felt like coming home.

"May I take your coat?" Alfred offered and she allowed him to slide the black coat down her shoulders and arms. Then he hung it carefully on the hanger by the door.

The butler led her to the living room area, which was also Thomas Wayne's study. Or... had been. Lilith felt something clench her heart at the thought of him.

"Please, sit while I prepare the tea," Alfred spoke, tearing Lilith away from the memory of her and Thomas Wayne discussing business in that same room. She could see the image so clearly that it was as if Thomas sat on the couch in front of her talking about his business with absolute dedication transpiring through his voice.

"All right, thank you, Alfred," Lilith replied as she sat down on one of the couches made of brown leather. She felt herself sink into it and sighed as her muscles relaxed instantly. "Where's Bruce?"

Alfred, who was about to leave the room, turned to face her again with a disapproving look not directed at her, but at the boy he served. "I've called for him, but of course, he hasn't heard". She chuckled as the butler returned to the kitchen.

Lilith looked around the room. Everything was exactly as it had been the last time she was there. The expensive decoration was still in the same spot with a couple of new additions here and there. So was the life-size iron knight standing by the door. The pinewood walls and matching furniture added to the comfort of the room. One of Lilith's favorite parts was the fireplace. Made of marble and surrounded by the same pinewood that decorated the rest of the Manor, perfectly detailed patterns adorning it. The other was the several paintings of past Waynes going back centuries. It culminated with a painting of Thomas, Martha, and Bruce on the wall behind Thomas' desk.