Chapter 29 | Something to fear

29 | Something to fear

"Instead of being afraid, I could become something to fear".

"Hello, Captain," the Red Demon greeted when she slipped into Essen's office

Sarah Essen jumped in her chair and the file she held in her hands fell back on the desk. "Jesus Christ". She took a hand to her heart. "What are you doing here?"

"I was the one who found the guy on the rooftop. Came by to see if Ed has already done the autopsy," Lilith casually said. "You have any suspects yet?"

Sarah sighed and looked away for a second before facing Lilith again. "Yes, Jim and Bullock just came back. They found the perp wearing a pig's head. He was about to kill another man, so they shot him. The victim is in the Hospital scared out of his mind. Pigs are his phobia. The first victim was heights".

"So the guy wanted to kill his victims when they were most afraid?"

Essen made a sound of confirmation. "But he's caught... Why are you making that face?" Jim had that same look when he was in her office a couple of minutes before and he didn't believe the perp they caught was the only killer.

"There's something that doesn't add up. I mean, what was his motive?" Lilith seemed to be talking more to herself than to Sarah. "I'll talk to Ed".

Before the Red Demon could jump out the window, Essen stopped her. "You can't".

Lilith looked back at her. "I won't let anyone see me, don't worry, Captain".

"Nygma was suspended," Essen blurted out.

"What?" The vigilante asked indignantly. "Why?"

"He's from forensics and has been caught way too many times in the M.E's office. There was nothing else I could do. Doctor Guerra had threatened to go to the Commissioner if I did nothing. After taking down Flass, everything we're doing is being watched".

Lilith sighed, but nodded. "How long ago was this?"

"About twenty minutes ago," Essen immediately regretted not having said two or three hours instead, because right after she spoke, the Red Demon disappeared through the window. She knew the vigilante would try to see if Ed was still clearing up his office.

The Demon found him stepping out of the Records Annex. He seemed rather happy for someone who had just been suspended.

Ed's smile suddenly dropped when he was grabbed and pulled into his office. He let out a yelp as he stumbled into the room and the door was closed behind him. He turned around and landed his eyes on the vigilante. He let out a sigh of relief.

"You scared me".

"I heard you've been suspended".

His eyes turned bitter. "Doctor Guerra and Captain Essen caught me with my hands inside a dead body". Then he smiled again. "But Miss Kringle, the woman I like from the Records Annex, said she was sad I got suspended and wished something could be done. So not everything is lost".