Chapter 11 | Venom

11 | Venom

"The human mind is truly the scariest thing of all".

Two. Three. Four floors went by. Lilith was scared. It was happening all too fast. But she thought to herself that, that couldn't be the end.

With a single stroke of luck, her hand found the bar of a balcony. It slid down it until it reached the floor of it. It felt like her arm was being pulled out of its socket. She yelped, but still tried to reach for Stan.

Lilith felt his fingers slip through hers.

The people below screamed when Potolsky landed on a car and its windows shattered, causing the alarm to go off.

Bruce Wayne watched everything from his place not too far from the car Stan had crashed on. His eyes wide as he observed, entranced, the vigilante climb the balcony and shatter the glass door to get back inside the Hotel. Although she hadn't been able to save the man, she tried. That was more than anyone could have done.

Now that Bruce was safe, Alfred was just glad that neither Potolsky nor the rubble had landed on the Rolls Royce.

Then he noticed Lilith wasn't beside him. He looked around and searched through the terrified group of people. She was nowhere to be seen. He got worried again. But then the butler caught sight of her and let out a sigh of relief.

"Miss Khin," he called and her eyes crossed with his. Bruce was forced back to reality.

"Alfred. Bruce". Like Alfred, she sighed in relief, hoping that her heavy breaths would be confused as nothing but worry and fear of what had happened.

Lilith also hoped that they couldn't see her shoulder starting to swell. She had her blazer back on but still felt naked. Her arm wasn't broken, which was great. It wasn't dislocated either. However, something had snapped. A tendon was her best guess. It hurt, but the pain would have to wait.

"Where the bloody hell were you?" Alfred asked.

The answer had already been reversed. "I got pulled back in the middle of all the chaos. I couldn't find you and then that happened," Lilith finished by pointing at Potolsky's body.

Detectives Bullock and Gordon stepped out of the Hotel with grim looks. After the coroner came to take the body, people started to disperse.

Alfred scanned the street. There was no sign of Lilith's Mustang anywhere close to the Hotel. "You need me to drive you home, Miss?"

"No need," she smiled. Alfred noticed it didn't reach her eyes. "I live right there beside the twin towers". Lilith pointed at the two imponent buildings joined by three bridges on separate floors. "But thank you, Alfred. I'm glad you're both okay".

Lilith looked down at Bruce. He was silent. Thoughtful. Of course, he was not okay. The boy had just learned his parents' company had been involved, along with WellZyn, in the creation of a powerful and deadly drug.