Chapter 31 | Family feud

31 | Family feud

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars".

- Kahlil Gibran

The weekend finally arrived, and with it came the joy of Haly's Circus

Inside the white and red tent, carnival music played loudly over the speakers, and the Flying Graysons worked their magic. The family jumped from one trapeze to another effortlessly and performed incredible somersaults in their colorful suits.

That night, the show had sold out and everyone seemed to be loving it so far. A smile was seen on every face and laughter was heard all around. Harvey Dent and Lilith Khin sat in the bleachers surrounding the ring as members of the audience. Harvey had one arm around Lilith and, from time to time, would look at her to see her giggling. That would make him smile. He had to say he felt like the happiest man on earth. Something Harvey had never thought he would feel.

To Lilith, Haly's brought immense joy and a sense of nostalgia. And she was happy to be able to experience that while next to Harvey.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Flying Graysons!" Announced the ringmaster as the family got back down and stood one behind another with their hands up. Lilith clapped along with everyone else while they stepped aside one by one. "Show them your appreciation".

"Thank you, from the Flying Graysons!" One of the women shouted and people cheered louder.

"They are incredible, aren't they?" Lilith asked Harvey.

The Assistant District Attorney nodded as he looked at her. "Yes, they—"

Harvey was interrupted by the loud sound of a horn honking. A red car with two clowns inside entered the ring. The car was smaller than a normal one, and one of its occupants had to curve himself while the other stuck his head out the window. More clowns followed their lead.

"Is that a bottle of wine?" Harvey asked as he eyed the object in one of the clowns' hands with raised eyebrows. The clown stumbled out of the red car and rudely shoved the Ringmaster away. "Who are they?"

"The Lloyds," Lilith told him. Like Harvey, she had stopped clapping and watched the scene apprehensively. She didn't think that what was happening was part of the show.

The man with the bottle stumbled toward one of the Graysons and hit him in the head, making the bottle break into tiny pieces of glass and causing everyone else to stop clapping too. Loud gasps arrived from all sides, and parents covered the eyes of their children.

"Like I've said... I've never been to the circus," Harvey spoke as the Graysons and the Lloyds started fighting. The Ringmaster tried to calm them but was ignored. "Is that supposed to happen?"