Chapter 50 | The debt

50 | The debt

"Who's the real you? The person who did something awful or the one who's horrified by the awful thing you did? Is one part of you allowed to forgive the other?"

Later that day, when the sun had set and the moon shined upon Gotham City, Alfred, Bruce and Lilith stood, like they had done many times, in front of the door separating them from Thomas' secrets

They were covered in dust caused by the rocky walls around them and the cobwebs. It didn't came as a surprise when the doorbell rang and they couldn't hear it at first. The sound of the code panel ringing every time Bruce imputed a password made it impossible for them to  hear any sound coming from upstairs.

"I really am most frightfully sorry it took so long to answer the door, gentlemen. Strange," apologized Alfred as he led the guests to the study where Bruce and Lilith pretended to be arranging the room. "Normally, a buzzer sounds when a car comes through the gates".

"Harvey left the car outside," told Jim as he stepped into the study followed by Harvey Dent.

"Harvey," called Lilith.

The District Attorney noticed the questioning look in his girlfriend's face as he approached to stand by her side. "I found Jim on my way here, offered him a ride".

Lilith smiled, but before she could say anything in reply, Jim spoke again, noticing their state. "You three are dirty. What have you been doing?"

"Cleaning up the attic," Lilith lied. "I decided to help out or else they would stay there all night".

Bruce quickly changed the subject. "I imagine you have something important to say," he said to Jim.

"Yes," the Detective replied and everyone in the room turned their attention to him. He kept his eyes on Bruce as he stepped forward. "I've been fired from the GCPD. I won't be able to keep the promise I made you. I wanted to apologize".

"Your apology is accepted, of course," Bruce replied. "But you didn't need to walk here. A phone call would've been fine".

Jim smiled awkwardly as he rubbed his forehead. "I needed the air".

"That's what happens with Loeb in charge," stated Harvey with a shake of his head. He had been talking with the Commissioner and Captain Essen earlier that day and noticed the tense stance in Loeb. He was always like that, but this time he looked worse.

Jim nodded. "Yeah".

"No hope for reinstatement then, sir?" Asked Alfred.