Chapter 16 | Bad investments

16 | Bad investments

"To have someone understand your mind is a different kind of intimacy".

For two weeks, the Red Demon didn't walk one step into the light of day or the shadows of the night

For two weeks, the Red Demon didn't walk one step into the light of day or the shadows of the night. On the TV, the journalists were already starting to wonder whether she was dead or simply decided to cease her vigilante career.

In reality, Lilith just wanted to allow her gunshot wound to heal properly. She also didn't appear in Wayne Enterprises and told Bruce she was sick. He was just happy to hear she was alive. Alfred fretted like the mother hen he was. Wanted to go over to Lilith's house with chicken soup.

But she needed to return to reality. Bruce was going back to school and Lilith wanted to be there for his first day. She wasn't very comfortable with the thought of the boy alone with all those other kids around. They could be cruel. And after what Bruce went through, he shouldn't be around people like that. Lilith couldn't even sleep just thinking about it.

The TV was low as Lilith printed some papers. The same name was written on every single one. Dick Lovecraft. He would be her way in to meet Harvey Dent without the mask.

From the corner of her eye, Lilith saw something on TV that made her stop and she slightly raised the volume to hear it.

"The body of a young male was found this morning on Gotham's Harbor. No ID as of yet. The killer is still at large and the police don't have any suspects or witnesses".

That was all there was about it. The reporters didn't even care about the poor boy. No, they were thrilled to tell the public that the police were failing to do their job again. Lilith wanted to help find the killer, but first, she needed to be there for Bruce.

***

Alfred Pennyworth opened the door for Lilith to step out of the Rolls Royce. Then he did the same for Bruce Wayne. Instead of stepping out of the car, Bruce stared at the Anders Preparatory Academy between narrowed eyes.

"Come on, Master Bruce," Alfred encouraged. "Had to happen sooner or later".

The boy felt ridiculous dressed in a yellow and blue uniform.

"Is this really necessary?" He asked, looking between Alfred and Lilith. "Homeschooling is just as effective. I can show you the data".

"You need to be around children your own age," Alfred told him.

Bruce noticed the softer expression on Lilith's face and took advantage of it. "Don't make me go back in there, Lilith. Like I said, homeschooling is just as effective. It's actually better because our brains memorize more if we are in a comfortable environment".

Lilith sighed, agreeing with him, but not saying it aloud. Alfred was his legal guardian and she knew he was doing that for the good of Bruce. She just couldn't see the reason yet. But then again, Lilith knew she had no idea how to raise a child. "Come on, Bruce. You have to step out of the car".