Chapter 34 | Red masks

34 | Red masks

"Always you wear a mask to hide the soul that is in you".

Five men in leather coats stepped out of an old brown van

Five men in leather coats stepped out of an old brown van. All of them secured their duffle bags behind their backs and raised a dark bandana up to their noses as they crossed the street.

All except for one.

As soon as they stopped in front of the bank of Gotham, the fifth one placed a red hood over his head, so only his eyes were visible. The exact opposite of what the group had discussed they would wear.

"What the hell is that?" Asked the leader, a short fat man, older than the others.

"I made it," answered the man in the red hood, who was also the youngest.

"You made it?"

"Yeah".

"So what is it?"

"Well, it's a hood," the boy told him, although the answer was pretty obvious. "Thought it would, you know, spice things up. The Red Demon wears a red mask too, right? Thought it should be better to use a red hood instead. All rights reserved, you know".

Another one of his partners frowned. "When did we start wearing hoods?"

"We didn't!" Exclaimed the leader.

"What? Was I supposed to get one?" Another one asked worriedly.

"No!" The leader exclaimed again. He sent one glance at the top of the buildings around them and opened the glass doors to enter the bank.

Lilith was in her office still thinking about Harvey and his nightmare. He had been so scared, but when he woke up that morning, he pretended as if nothing happened. However, she did notice he avoided her eyes and the bruise in her right wrist, where his left hand had applied a stronger grip.

The computer in front of her showed Lilith the real-time videos captured by various cameras all over Gotham. So far, everything was calm, but Lilith was hoping something good would happen to take her mind off Harvey's nightmare.

As if on cue, something on the screen got her attention. Lilith approached the screen and saw a group of masked men walking into a bank with shotguns in hand.

"There you go," Lilith said to herself as she grabbed the phone hidden away in one of the drawers of her desk and called the GCPD. "Bank robbery on Eastchester. Hurry up". Then, she ended the call before the officer could make any questions.

Soon, Lilith was grappling above the streets, trying to get to the bank as fast as possible. It was always good to bring the Red Demon clothes wherever she went. That way she was prepared whenever something happened.

When Lilith arrived at the bank, the robbers were walking at a fast pace back toward their van, and the cop cars were on their way too. They were right there at the end of the street.