Chapter 17 | Dynamic duo

17 | Dynamic duo

"No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies".

- Daisy Bates

Bruce Wayne was one of the last students to leave the school, at a fast pace and with his bag tightly pressed against his sore chest

Alfred looked down at his pocket watch for the hundredth time. The sound of the front entrance door opening alerted both him and Lilith and they were relieved to see him coming down the stairs.

"Tad late, Master Bruce," Alfred commented.

The boy attempted to slip inside the Rolls without them saying anything else. His plan was to get back home and lock himself in his room like he had done the previous day.

However, Alfred and Lilith noticed the bruises on his face. It was hard to miss since there were several on his chin and cheeks. His nose was red too.

Bruce was forced to stop when Alfred put his hands on his chest and Lilith blocked his path to the car, both asking him the same question.

"What happened?"

"I'm perfectly fine," the boy answered, avoiding eye contact with them.

Alfred didn't let it slide and repeated the question. Bruce finally looked up and crossed eyes with Lilith's. She was livid, not at him, but at whoever had hurt him. Bruce had no other choice, but to tell them.

"Someone spoke disrespectfully about my mother".

The butler and the brunette shared a glance. Lilith was boiling inside.

"Oh, did they, now?" Alfred asked. "Well, I hope you broke their bastard teeth for them".

"No," the boy answered ashamed. "He's much bigger than me, and I'm not very good at fighting. Didn't hurt him at all".

Alfred opened his mouth to speak again but was interrupted by Lilith. Her voice was low and as sharp as a knife. "Who did this to you?"

"Don't tell the school". Bruce grabbed the bag Alfred had taken from him and walked quickly around Lilith to get into the car.

The butler looked at Lilith. "Not bloody likely".

She sat next to Bruce in the backseat. He held on tightly to his bag to stop himself from shaking. He could only think that his mother was disappointed in him.

Lilith, however, was pissed and at that moment, had completely forgotten about Richard Sionis. She turned to face Bruce.

"Who did this to you?" She asked again firmly. He looked at her but stayed silent. "I'm not kidding, Bruce".

Bruce had never seen her angry. It was kind of scary and he was glad to be on her good side. For a moment, he shut his eyes and let out a sigh.

"Tommy Elliot".