Chapter 25 | Where demons thrive

25 | Where demons thrive

"The shadows betray you because they serve me".

Back at the GCPD's headquarters, the Red Demon, Lilith carefully sneaked in through the window on the third floor

Back at the GCPD's headquarters, the Red Demon, Lilith carefully sneaked in through the window on the third floor. She heard laughter coming from the lower floors and moved silently to peek over the rail.

"What the heck?" She cursed when she saw the man in the center of a group formed by cops. Maroni. The Penguin layed on a desk not too far away knocked out. He still had a black eye and his face was red.

Jim and Harvey Bullock watched the scene from the second floor.

Harvey was going to say something to Jim, but when he turned sideways, he noticed something through the corner of his eye. Someone was on the last floor looking down. He saw the red and black figure and when it disappeared into the orange light streaming through the window, he patted his partner's shoulder. When Jim turned, Harvey gestured with his head towards the third floor. Jim understood the signal and followed him up the stairs, looking over his shoulder to make sure nobody was following them.

"You're using him as bait?" Lilith asked, gesturing with her head towards Maroni.

"Yes," Jim confirmed. "Buchinsky attacked Maroni's restaurant earlier with an electrical bomb. Knocked out Penguin and another guy. He'll be coming after him".

Lilith agreed. Maroni and Irwin both belonged to the group that left him behind. The ones she wasn't able to catch.

"He'll be happy to see you too," Harvey said while leaning against the rail and crossing his arms over his chest.

A minute of silence hung between them only disturbed by the sound of collective laughter coming from downstairs where Maroni kept telling jokes.

Bullock looked over his shoulder at the Don. "When you use a goat as bait, shouldn't the goat be out in the jungle and not in the house?"

"This house is the best-defended spot in Gotham," Jim explained calmly. "Buchinsky is crazy and arrogant and resourceful. Wherever Maroni is, he'll come after him. And he knows you will be here too". The last part was directed to the vigilante. "You went after him once, he knows you will be here to do it again. He'll enjoy the challenge".

"Yeah," Lilith nodded and then unattached the grappling gun from her belt. "You guys keep an eye in here. I'll check the perimeter".

Lilith placed the grappling gun on top of a desk. It wouldn't be a good idea to have it near electricity. Her twin sais too. Her katana was protected by its sheath, but she still placed it beside the grappling gun and the knives. "Great, now I feel naked".

When she turned to leave, Jim grabbed her arm and she faced him again. "Be careful," he said.

The vigilante sent him a nod and sneaked back out through the window.