CHAPTER 1

Shehnai and dhol's sound could be heard coming from the huge shed tied out in the garden area. Mr. Mahajan's South Goa farmhouse was all decked up beautiful artificial flowers and plastic plants that nobody seems to pay any attention on. Because everyone was busy. Busy in gossiping and giggling.

"You know, today morning I saw Rashi didi's younger daughter talking and giggling with her brother in law's brother" narrated an aunty as wave gasps could be heard following her statement.

A tall, thin built man. Who looked something in his late fifties. Few strands of hair had turned grey. It was November end but sweat could be seen running down his forehead. Running here and there greeting guests and screaming on the event manager at one moment and the very next moment smiling and greeting the relatives. No, he didn't have split personality disorder. It was just that he had to do it all. After all it was his only daughter's engagement tonight. While to be bride's mother was busy giggling with her long-lost cousins.

The huge Irish holiday villa which usually lied empty was this afternoon packed with numerous humans.

Away from the chaos a girl who looked something who had a month back celebrated survival of three decades on this planet had just applied face mask and was trying to lie few moments in peace. But if you are an Indian, you will surely know the amount of peace that prevails in the wedding house. The word peace is non-existent in a wedding house.

She's Monami. The to-be-bride. A graphic designer. Driven by emotions, empathy and compassion. Doesn't shy away from showing her emotional side to the world. A kindhearted person. Being her parent's only child, she's raised with utmost care and affection by her parents. Can melt anyone's heart by her warm and caring personality. Living example of how one can be beautiful inside out.

She laughed off with the idea that two slices of cucumbers could hide her months long wedding stress as she removed the cucumber when her phone rang.

A wave of excitement rang off her body as she saw the name of caller flashing on her phone screen- it was him.

Count till 10 and I will be there, he said.

This time I will win, she declared.

Let's see, he said as he cut the phone call.

Monami threw her phone on the bed and rushed downstairs.

Escaping the eyes of unwanted relatives, gang of aunts who were no less than question banks and over excited cousins Monami after stumbling twice the staircase managed to make it through to the main door of the house when a taxi arrived. Excited Monami kept looking at the door as it opened with the same focus with which you stalk social media profile of your crush but to her disappointment it wasn't him. It was her mother's cousin brother whom Monami hadn't seen in years. Or maybe he was her father's cousin. Or maybe not. Monami couldn't recognize him as passed an ear to ear to smile at her. But who cared. She passed a forced smile at him and touched his feet. But soon it turned out that neither was he, her mother's cousin nor her father's. He was the chief cook tonight. Monami couldn't be blamed since past 2 days she had seen so many knew faces that claimed to be her relatives. Monami kept looking at the main gate when someone tapped her shoulders from behind- it was him. Faizi. Her best friend.

Jolly, friendly- are few adjectives which describe him the best. At first week of his work, he knew that 9 to 5 job was never for him. Food is what keeps him going in life. Hence when his wife left him four years back, turned his love for spending time in kitchen into his work and made a business out of it. Believes that one should laughs off their sorrows. Started off from a cloud kitchen to today he's famous Restaurant chain owner. Built his business all by his own. Follow you passion is what he believes. Believes in the concept that do what you love, you may earn less by sleep with satisfaction each night.

Monuu, said Faizi as he lifted her.

I missed you so much, said Monami as she engulfed Faizi in a bone crushing hug as soon as Faizi put her down.

Even today you are late, said Monami as she faked being angry.

Aadat se majboor missed my morning flight...you know na how much I hate getting up early in the morning, stated Faizi.

Then why on earth you booked an early morning flight...You know the Roka ceremony is over already, stated Monami.

But who said I came to be part of the rituals, I came just for good food, joked Faizi.

Monami giggled, you haven't changed a bit, she said.

I never will, said Faizi.

Faizi beta it's been so long how have you, asked Monami's mother as she came from behind.

Mrs Mahajan was a cardiologist. One could always spot her smiling. She loves cooking and keeps inviting every other person she sees on dinner. A happy to go lucky kind of natured woman.

I am fine aunty and I missed rajma chawal, chole bhature, gajar ka halwa and chicken curry made by you, said Faizi as Monami's mother caressed his hair.

Monami just kept looking at his face, she knew the pain he held behind that smiling face.

Monami's mother took Faizi to the huge tent under which where everyone was having lunch.

And there sat Monami and Faizi with plate full of Indian delicacies. Monami just looked at the poor salad placed at the buffet counter, how alienated it was. But Faizi never believed in discrimination and hence made some same for the salad in his already overloaded plate. How kind of him.

If anyone wanted to see the maximum level of concentration a human can hold, one should spot Indian relatives in wedding while eating. And Faizi was a living example of that.

After about an hour of having lunch and talking about almost everything on earth from Monami's evening lengha to wedding's menu to giggling over overly dressed aunties to narrating incidences of their college days to talking about their work life to the extra salt in the paneer sabzi Faizi and Monami finally got up from their seat and moved in direction Monami's room.

Monami being the bride was showered with extra attention and had to stop after taking every other step as the relatives started pouring onto her. Faizi just smiled at her poor state from behind.

Faizi roamed off here and there. Desi ghee, in which sweets were being made, 's aroma ran across the living room, ringing sound of aunties giggling and men joking around could he heard. All these reminded Faizi of the time he was having hard time forgetting.

Faizi's train of thoughts were broken as someone patted his shoulders. It was a familiar face. A tall slim built figure stood in front of him. It was her.

Sanjana. Still a small-town girl at heart who finds happiness in small things. She likes thing simple be it her food, clothes or life. Stability is what she searches- at work, in relations and life. Works as a senior manager in one of India's top hospitality chains.

Faizi and Sanjana had barely greeted each other when Monami came running towards their direction.

Sanjuuu, was all that came out from Monami's mouth as she hugged Sanjana. Faizi joined in the hug. Mr Mahajan who was scolding the kids as they ran across the house had a smile on his face seeing happy face of his daughter.

Faizi, Sanjana and Monami laid on Monami's bed as they talked for rest of the afternoon.

Hey where's Karan, asked Faizi.

that's all for this update. Hope you liked this update. Do comment down your views would love to hear them out and do vote if you liked the chapter. Next update soon.