CHAPTER 11

Greeting the Earth with it's warmth arouse Sun from behind the horizon making it's way through the lush green trees on this Saturday morning.

A lot of movements could be spotted in the farmhouses as everyone preparing for the haldi ceremony. Giggles, laughter, and conversations filled in the breeze.

In haldi ceremony as the name suggests a paste of haldi, that is, Indian name of turmeric is applied on the bride and groom's body before their wedding. This ceremony is held at both sides, on the morning of wedding, separately or combined.

Traditionally, elder women of the house make a paste using Haldi and different ingredients such as sandalwood, milk and rosewater as individual family customs. This paste so created is then applied on bride and groom's face, neck, hands and feet by their family and friends. Then bride and groom apply a portion of this paste on their unmarried friends as tradition suggests that whoever gets touched by this paste is next one in que to get married.

In the garden by the pool Karan and Monami sat side by side. The Haldi ceremony was yet another intimate affair which was adorned with vivid yellow marigolds and splashes of pink, orange and red. For the haldi, Monami wore a pretty bright yellow saree. For her floral jewellery, the bride went with contrasting hues of pink and white. While Karan went with a white kurta-pyjama. All in all, the duo looked exceptionally stunning together.

Karan I am scared, confessed Monami in a low tone.

Scared? asked Karan.

Oh, I get is it the wedding vows that are making you kinda nervous than chill Monami it's normal, continued Karan.

No Karan it's the fear that's eating me up, said Monami.

Fear? asked Karan.

Yes, Karan fear, what if things don't work out between us? What if years hence you too decide to part ways from me, from this marriage? I know we have known each other for years now and are more of damn good friends before anything else but so were Sanjana and Siddharth but look at them now they don't even look eye to eye at each other. I know we have an amazing chemistry between us, that spark that we don't feel around anyone else, that special connection. But so did Koel and Faizi had it between them- the most ideal couple of our college. The one who got us both together, they looked made for one another but look at them now they have been living separately for years now and don't even know what's the other up to even after being married and having a son together. Karan I am afraid that even after being invested so much in one another one fine morning we just don't feel the need to be by another. Karan I am afraid that things that once made us fall for another what if they turn into things to drift apart from one another, said Monami.

How easily you focused on what could wrong instead of how great it could be? Monami if 11 years of relationship and 13 years of knowing one another cannot give you the assurance then I guess nothing in the world can. Monami how easily you saw how our friends parted way after years of relationships but what you failed to see that their circumstances were different, they are not us Monami. And how easily just few hours before our marriage you are thinking of parting ways. Monami I am finding this funny more than anything, said Karan in a breath.

Karan you are getting me wrong, said Monami.

I am not getting you wrong Monami, you have got wrong meaning out of the scenario. I know how much stress this marriage tag brings along. I am under the same rock but that dosen't mean that we need to run away or call it off. What our friend had between them is up to them, Monami. But I know what we both share, that bond of love. And I know how badly we both want to keep it alive. Monami I don't know what will happen tomorrow. And trust me no one does but that doesn't mean that we run away just imagining the worst that we could think of. Monami all I know is that I love you, said Karan.