Part thirteen 

Jasper helped Audrey balance-walk across an enormous fallen pine tree in the moss-covered forest

Jasper helped Audrey balance-walk across an enormous fallen pine tree in the moss-covered forest. Elizabeth, Ruth, Edward, and Bella were with them. "How long have you been like this?" Elizabeth asked. "Since nineteen-eighteen. That's when Carlisle found me," Edward replied as they walked. Elizabeth nodded. "I arrived with Alice and Sora a few decades ago," Jasper replied. "Where'd he find you?" Bella asked. "In a hospital, dying of Spanish influenza," Edward replied. "My parents had already died."

"We know that feeling?" Audrey said. Elizabeth and Ruth nod. "The word excruciating comes to mind," Jasper answered. "But what Carlisle did was much harder... not many of us have the restraint to do that," Edward added. "Didn't he just... bite?" Bella asked. "Not just. Our bite contains venom," Jasper replied. "And once we taste blood, a sort of... frenzy begins. It's almost impossible to stop." "But Carlisle did," Bella said. "First with us," Edward replied. "then with his wife, Esme. He found her in a hospital, as well. Rosalie joined us.

Later she found Emmett." "Does someone have to be dying to become like you?" Ruth asked. They walked along a stunning coastline, rugged black rocks, covered in bright green moss. "....No, that's just Carlisle. He would never do... this, to someone who had another choice," Jasper said. "So Carlisle's the reason why you hunt animals, instead of people," Bella concluded. "Not the only reason," Jasper said as he looks at Audrey with love in his eyes. "I don't want to be a monster." "You're not a monster to me,"

Audrey told him as he smiled at her. "We call ourselves vegetarians, by the way...," Edward explained. "For our kind, hunting animals is like living on tofu. It keeps you strong but isn't very satisfying." Then abruptly, Jasper whips past me. Audrey turned to see him standing on a large rock in the river. "Show off," Audrey scoffed as The cousins and Jasper snickered at Audrey. "I can't even do that." "It's not that impressive, really," Elizabeth told her. "Anyone in our family can do this," Elizabeth added. Edward and Bella look at them confused.

"What do you mean?" Bella asked walking up to Elizabeth. "Oh, I forgot you two don't know," Elizabeth said looking at Ruth and Audrey. "Tell me what?" Bella asked again. "Audrey, Ruth, and I are witches," Elizabeth told them. Bella's eyes went wide. "Witches? Stop lying" Edward said not believing. Bella on the other hand. "Witches?! Wow! Teach me" Bella said, looking at Elizabeth. "We'll teach you a little," Ruth says. Making Bella smile. "How is that possible? I didn't think witches Were real" Edward said.

"Many don't," Audrey says. "Can you show me some magic?" Bella asked. "Sure, lourd à léger. Faites-le prendre l'avion" Audrey says. Pointing at a big rock, making it float. Bella watches, amazed. "Oh my god?! That's so cool!" Bella said looking at Audrey. Audrey smiles. "Can they read minds?" Bella asked. "Some can" Ruth answered. "Can they all read minds, too?" Bella asked Edward. "No, that's unique to me. But Alice can see the future," Edward replied. "I can manipulate emotions," Jasper added.

"Really? Bet she saw me coming a mile away," Bella joked as Audrey noted his change of mood as he slowed, darkening. "Her visions are very subjective," Edward told me. "The future can change." He cuts off Bella's questions by returning to shore and continuing our walk.