Part thirty-eight

-𝗗𝗲𝘀𝗲𝗿𝘁 )𝟭𝟴𝟲𝟯)-

Jasper's face was human, tan, and flushed with the extortion of riding his horse full throttle down the dirt road. He looked dashing in his confederate uniform. "I was riding back to Galveston after evacuating a column of women and children. When I saw her," he continued as his past self slows when he sees three women in frayed dresses and bare feet. Their beauty overwhelms him.

Maria, Mexican, black-haired, porcelain-skinned is flanked by two blondes, Lucy and Nettie. He dismounts, and politely bows. Maria scrutinizes him. "I immediately offered her my aid," he said "Lovely. And an officer," Lucy inhaled deeply. "You'd better do it, Maria. I can never stop once I've started," Nettie spoke up. Jasper is confused but mesmerized as Maria moves closer. "What's your name, soldier?" Maria asked.

"Major Jasper Whitlock, Ma'am," Jasper replied. "I hope you survive. You may be of great use to me," Maria told him as she bit him.

-𝗖𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴-

Jasper stopped walking, the painful memory washing over him. Bella moved to a fallen log and sat down. Audrey was standing. "Maria was creating an army?" Audrey asked. "They were very common in the South. And cost brutal battles for territory," Jasper explained.

-𝗧𝗲𝘅𝗮𝘀 𝗗𝗲𝘀𝗲𝗿𝘁 )𝟭𝟴𝟲𝟬𝘀)-

Jasper looked almost unrecognizable in his ferocity as he tore through an opposing army of newborns, ripping off limbs, arms, and heads. He's a terrifying warrior. "Maria won them all. She was smart and careful. And she had me. I was the second in command. My abilities to control emotions served her well," Jasper continued.

-𝗕𝗮𝗿𝗻-

Jasper trained a group of newborns, demonstrating defensive and attack maneuvers. They're a feral-looking bunch. Jasper's eyes are burgundy-red, his face hard, and cold until he crossed a young, innocent-looking boy, 15. Jasper softened ever so slightly as he encouraged the boy, who looked up to him. "I trained her newborns. An endless occupation since she never let them live beyond their first year," Jasper continued.

"Those with mates died after being revealed, as she didn't want any distractions." A stronger newborn easily pinned the boy. Maria appeared behind Jasper and grabbed him into a kiss, dominant and salacious. She whispered to him regarding the boy. They both stared at the boy as the newborns disperse "It was my job to dispose of them," Jasper added as the day turned into night.

-𝗟𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿-

"I could feel everything they felt," Jasper said as he flinched at the memory. Jasper approached the boy and clamped his hand on the boy's shoulder. The boy looked at him, then at the sky. Jasper looked anguished as he looks at the boy, who was unaware of what is to happen to him. Jasper, filled with despair, grabbed the boy, restraining the boy in a choke-hold, almost an embrace before twisting the boy's head off.

-𝗖𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴-

Jasper has the same despair as acute as if it was yesterday. Audrey walked up next to him. "I thought what Maria and I had was love. But I was her puppet. She pulled the strings. I didn't know there was another way," Jasper finished as he turns to Audrey. "Until I found Alice. Now she'd seen me coming, of course. She told me about my mate and how she will see me for who I am. A unique girl who brought the light to my life."

"Sorry for making you wait for so long," Audrey teased him. "My apologies, Ma'am. I don't know what I'd have become without her," Jasper laughed. Audrey wrapped her arms around Jasper from behind him. "You'll never have to be that again," Audrey reminded him as she kissed him. Bella smiled, taking it all in.