Part thirty-seven

-𝗚𝗿𝗮𝗱𝘂𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗖𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝗻𝘆-

Students, families, and teachers are in the gym as the ceremony continued

Students, families, and teachers are in the gym as the ceremony continued. Umbrellas are on hand in case the clouds opened up.  "Our answers were things like astronaut, president," Jessica continued, standing at the podium, class valedictorian. "Or in my case, princess. When we were ten, they asked again and we answered, rock star, cowboy, or in my case, gold medalist. But now that we've grown up, they want a serious answer. Well, how 'bout this: who the hell knows?!"

Loud hoots and hollers from the audience, in which Bella and Audrey are sitting in the middle. Jessica's words are sinking in. Audrey was graduating yet again.  "This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions, it's the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train, and get stuck somewhere chill. Fall in love a lot. Major in philosophy because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind. Then change it again, because nothing is permanent,"

Jessica continued.  Jasper was in front of us. Bella and Audrey looked at each other, knowing there will be no changing her mind once we made our decision. The speech continued. On the stage, Bella walked to the school principal and shakes his hand while receiving her diploma.  Audrey shrieked her name out as she glared at her. Everyone laughed as Audrey gave a goofy smile. Out in the audience, Charlie stood up and clapped loudly, beaming with pride.

After she went up, so did Audrey. Charlie clapped even louder. He was joined by Elizabeth and Ruth.  "So make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask again what we want to be, we won't have to guess. We'll know," Jessica finished as everyone clapped.

-𝗣𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗚𝗿𝗮𝗱𝘂𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗖𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝗻𝘆-

We all walked away, Bella awkwardly shouldering out of her gown and mortarboard. She and Audrey ad-libbed "see you at the party" with various students including the usual suspects if possible. Charlie wrapped an arm around their shoulders, emotional.  "I'm so proud of you, Bella, Audrey. I can't wait to see what you two do next. You're my biggest accomplishment," he teared up.  "Dad, that's not true," Bella denied.

"I don't know about you, Clumsy," Audrey laughed. "But I know I'm the best."  Audrey did a hair flip as Bella playfully punched her shoulder. Charlie laughed at them.  "Yeah, it is. And it's... well, you'll see, when you have kids," Charlie argued as Bella and Audrey looked at each other.  We said goodbye as Audrey left with my family.

-𝗦𝗲𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗹𝗲-

Riley, exasperated, stood next to a late model sedan that lies upside down in the dark street. Smoke comes from the engine and a fire ignites. Inside the car, a woman screamed.  "What did I say, about low profile?" Riley screams. "Something's coming. Something bigger than any of us alone. And if you can't control yourselves, we're all going to die."  A male newborn ignores him as he pulls the screaming woman from the car and begins to feed on her.