Part forty-four

Jacob came back later today when night fell. Seth and Leah are with him. They sit next to Audrey. Jacob told them that Sam wants to kill Bella and Audrey, along with the babies. Audrey stroked her belly as Audrey looked at Bella, worried. She held Audrey's hand, to comfort her. Dylan had arrived a few minutes ago and knew what happened. His anger towards the wolves caused a shield to surround the house.

"Sam's lost the element of surprise, and he doesn't want to take you on outnumbered, so he's not gonna come at you head-on. He's got the place surrounded and he'll wait for his opportunity," Jacob explained. "Why would he want to do that?" Emmett asked. "We won't get through without a fight," Sora added. "We don't know if the babies are going to be like us or like Audrey and Bella." "No fights. We won't be the ones to break the treaty," Carlisle spoke up.

"The treaty is void, at least in Sam's mind," Jacob added. "Not in ours," Esme sighed. "Carlisle, no one's hunted for weeks," Emmett added. "Either way, one of us has to be there for Audrey and Bella when they give birth." "We'll make do. You've done us a great service, Jacob," Esme told the young wolf. "Thank you."

-𝗢𝘂𝘁𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗖𝘂𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗻𝘀 𝗛𝗼𝘂𝘀𝗲-

At night, the three wolves are standing outside Cullen's house."I know they're out there somewhere, but I can't hear them anymore. It's so quiet," Jacob spoke up. "I stopped hearing them, too, the second I decided to leave. It's nice," Leah added. "You know you can't stay here," Jacob told her. "But I don't have any place...," Leah replied. "I can't trust you with the Cullens. Or the Sanderson's. You hate them too much. You don't even like me," Jacob said.

"I don't have to. I just have to follow you, and I don't hate the Sanderson's.Their like sisters to me." Leah replied. "Besides I don't agree with Sam" "Look, Seth doesn't want you here. Neither do I," Jacob shot back at her.

"Being unwanted isn't exactly a new thing for me," Leah argued as Jacob didn't reply. "Look, I'll stay out of your way. I'll do whatever you want, except go back to Sam's pack and be the pathetic ex-girlfriend he can't get away from. You don't know how many times I wished I could imprint on someone. Anyone." "Just to break the connection," Jacob agreed as he nodded her head in agreement. "All right. I'm gonna do a perimeter run."

-𝗡𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝗗𝗮𝘆-

Carlisle was looking at X-rays of the fetuses

Carlisle was looking at X-rays of the fetuses. Audrey was on one of the reclining chairs as Bella lay on the table in his office. Edward and Emmett are off to the side. "Audrey, one of your ribs is cracked. Bella just sprained her ribs," he sighed as he turns to them. "But there are no splinters. You haven't punctured anything." "Yet," Edward added. "Edward," Carlisle scolded him. "It's breaking her bones and dislocating a joint now," Edward continued.

"It's crushing you from the inside out. Carlisle, tell them what you told me. Tell them." "Carlisle, tell us," Audrey asked. "It's all right." "The fetus is compatible with your body Audrey. It's slowly healing as it's developing. But Bella. It's not compatible with your body. It's too strong. It won't allow you to get the nutrition you need. It's starving you both by the hour," Carlisle told them. "I can't stop it, and I can't slow it down. At this rate, Bella's heart will give out before she can deliver."