Part twenty-seven

-Edward's POV-

I walked down the endless corridor. Finally, I reached a set of intricately carved double doors which open for us. As we entered, Edward and I found ourselves facing three wooden thrones, on which sit the ancient Volturi: Aro, Marcus, and Caius. Aro wore an expensive, contemporary, black Italian suit, long black hair in a loose ponytail to his waist. Marcus and Caius eschew modern clothing for rich silk robes, their long hair loose around them.

All three have translucent, onion-like, white skin. "Have you decided?" I asked. "It was an intriguing debate. We don't get many suicidal vampires." "Pathetic," Caius added. "I'm afraid your gift's too valuable for us to pass," Aro smiled. "But if you are unhappy with your lot, please come and join us. We'd be delighted to utilize your skills." "So you won't end this," I concluded. "Not without cause," Caius added.

I registered this, my face setting. I formed a plan in my head to give them a cause. I walked out. "Such a waste," I heard Aro say.

-Bella's POV-

Edward, please don't do anything rash, I thought, Jasper noting my emotions

-𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝗣𝗢𝗩-

Bella waited impatiently at the curb as a yellow hard-top Porsche with darkly tinted windows screeched to a halt in front

Bella waited impatiently at the curb as a yellow hard-top Porsche with darkly tinted windows screeched to a halt in front. Jasper pulled up in a car. The cousins got in and he pulled out.   "Where'd you get this car?" Audrey asked as They climbed in and buckled up.  "Hope you're not opposed to grand theft auto," Jasper smiled at her.  "You're talking to the girl whose sister used to do that a lot," Audrey answered. Looking at Ruth.

Jasper floored it and the Porsche peeled out. The Porsche screamed down a highway, cutting lanes, weaving through Peugeots and Fiats as Audrey gripped the dashboard. Alice narrowly missed a car.  "He's going to do it at noon," Jasper spoke up. We saw Alice's car speed past them.  "It's almost noon now," Elizabeth looked at her watch. "There's Volterra," Jasper pointed out to them.  He punched it, following Alice's car.

Audrey saw a Medieval fortified village atop a distant hill. Volterra. As we entered the town, the narrow, centuries-old streets are crowded with festival revelers who all wear red. They gaily head toward the town square carrying red pendants, balloons, and scarves. Jasper parked in a shaded air and we got out. They rushed to a corridor.  "Why are they all wearing red?" Ruth asked.  "San Marcos Day festival. The perfect setting. Large crowds," Jasper explained.

"The Volturi won't let him get far enough to reveal himself; he's counting on that."  "Bella only has five minutes," Elizabeth looked again.  They saw Bella getting out of her car and running. They saw someone in the shadows, following her. Audrey raced down the cobble-stoned alleys, stumbling on the uneven stones as festival revelers head in the same direction. They followed her as Jasper kept an eye on the individual.

"Fare attenzione!" An Italian guy exclaimed as Bella charged forward to find myself blocked by a fountain. They heard a gong. The clock tower bells chime. It's noon. Bella jumped into the fountain and waded through the shallow water to the other side as Audrey jumped out and barreled through the crowd.  Finally, she saw Edward. "Edward!" She cried but her cry was drowned out by the booming chime. 

She ran into the fountain and slammed into Edward's chest. Audrey sighed as he pulled her into the shadows after talking to her briefly. "She made it," Audrey sighed.   Jasper led the cousins to where the two are. Audrey smiled at Bella as Jasper and Edward both froze. They heard two people walking toward them.