|09| • Everest

"About time." 

Saffron huffed, her arms folded across her shoulder. In my opinion, she could have been thanking me because it seemed like she and that kid-- Rivers were having a somewhat heartfelt conversation. Then again, I was judging based on their proximity. His knees were touching hers by the time I drove beside the bus stop. Chuckling at her attitude, I decided to shrug it off. Amelia had left me in a mighty good mood.

"I thought you'd forget about me."

She sassed, pouting her reddish lips as Rivers stood up to walk towards us. "Hey, man." He was nervous, the chuckle gave it away. Grinning (it probably resembled a boyish one), I nodded my head at him. "It's Everest, kid. Make sure to keep a good distance, okay?" His eyes slightly widened before nodding, staring back and forth at Saffron and me. 

"Everest. I could say the same for that Melia chick. Your smile is about to rip your face." Saffron said with a scoff at the end. I was a bit surprised she remembered her name -- at least a portion of it.  

"It's Amelia."

She wasn't listening, the girl was too busy blushing over what Rivers whispered in her ear. The audacity of the bunch. "Bye," Saffron muttered softly, engulfing him in a hug. I kept my gaze on him, true to God I didn't want to come off as possessive, but he made it so hard. His hands hovered over her waist, eyes nervously reaching mine. Shaking my head, I shrugged it off before entering the car. Perhaps they deserved a bit of privacy.

With a goofy smile on her face, Saffron closed the car, sighing as she pressed into the seat. "Did he tell you how much he loves you?" I teased, giving her a sideways glance. Saffron gaped, her cheeks darkening. "Stop it!" She huffed, sticking out her tongue.

"I guess not."

The engine roared back to life, my foot pressing the accelerator. "So, Amelia. Huh?" I heard her say, her tone cooing. The sound of her name caused the side of my lips to edge. Her little reactions made my chest contract. At first, I was worried, but now I kind of liked how my body reacted to her. "What about her?" I hummed, not giving my little sister the satisfaction of being flustered.

"Have you told her how much you love her?"

I chuckle.

"Love is quite the word there, Saff. But no, we're just friends."

She arched her eyebrows suspiciously. "For now." There was no use hiding my intentions from her, knowing Saff, she'd be hellbent on doing some digging which would involve meddling into my life. A gasp left her lips. "So you do like her." I shrugged. She could put two and two together anyway. 

"That's weird, a bunch of thirty-year-olds crushing on each other." Her assumption had me laughing. "Who said she's 30?" I teased, smirking at her shocked expression. "Older or younger?" She was a rather inquisitive girl. 

"You'll find out when it works out."

"Everest!"

"Saffron!" I mocked, enjoying how much she craved such trivial information. It wasn't her age that made me interested; far from it. If anything, it was what made me a bit cautious. She peered at me for a while, her lips pouting to give a more innocent expression. From my peripheral vision, I saw her lean in, blinking her eyes at me.

"That may work on Rivers, but not me."

Saffron huffed, pressing her back against the seat. "Whatever." 

We reached the house in another thirty minutes; after she got inside the house, I reversed out of the neighbourhood. There was still time left until the sun would set entirely for darkness to take over.