|65| • Everest

I couldn't possibly admit the reason for turning down her offer on Tuesday was because of my therapy session. On countless occasions, I tried imagining telling her that I was seeing a therapist, but the words wouldn't come out of my mouth in one piece, even when I was alone in my room. I didn't want to hide anything from Amelia, but, this was a different case. I felt my throat constrict whenever the words almost slipped out, I bet she'd already noticed but chose not to say anything. 

I felt bad.

But I did promise myself that before I proposed, I'd let her know about it, and tell her everything I hadn't been able to, even if I became a stuttering mess when doing so. I just hoped she wasn't imagining the worst. The other reason was that I was really going to see Gabe today, he offered to help me choose a ring for my little lady. Perhaps I was moving too fast, but I wanted to have it until I was ready to propose. I guess this step was for me to know how serious I was about this. 

We were going to see her father on Sunday, and that was when I was going to ask his permission. I probably should be doing that first instead of buying a ring, but I'm a hopeful man.

I saw Gabe standing outside his apartment, looking through his phone, I honked twice, startling him. He glared at my truck before jogging over to meet me. "Took you long enough man. How are ya?" He asked once he was in, I shook his hand, nodding. "I'm alright, just ended the therapy session."

"Right, how has it been? She's been helpful right?" He teased, leaning closer with a grin on his face. I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, yeah. She has." He sat back in triumph. "I know, I have the best advice. You're just a hard head." Gabe said, tooting his own horn. He did have some good words to spare when I needed them, I'd given him that. Cocky one, isn't he? 

"And how's the lady? I hope you haven't drowned her in your affection since you two started living together." Gabe asked while wiggling his eyebrows. I honestly wished there was time to do that. In between her school and our little misunderstandings, we rarely had time to just...be together. Sighing, I drove into the main street, where there were different jewellery stores lined up. 

"She's good, learning to speak her mind every day. It's just, that guy I told you about. The one that gets on my nerves. He's been the topic more than once with us and frankly, it pisses me off." I admitted I didn't want Ron or whatever he was called to be the topic of discussion. It was as though we had those misunderstandings because of him. Amelia said he was just a friend. But Darrick was just a friend and still managed to get a kiss from her.

But that was a while ago.

She's matured more than that now.

"Raul again?" Gabe asked. Yeah, that was his irksome name. Raul. I nod, parking the car at one of the jewellery shops. "Every time I mention him, she's like 'he's just a friend, he's just flirty' and damn it, Gabe, I can't just tell her not to hang out with who she wants just because I'm a little jealous. You know?"

Gabe smiled, looking at me.

"What the heck is so funny about that?"

He shrugged. "Therapy is working, you're more expressive than before."

This made me roll my eyes, out of all that, this was what he took notice of. Gabe laughed as if he'd read my mind. "Anyways, if you're so uncomfortable about it and you've told her before, I trust she'd keep her distance. You can't get jealous of any guy that shows interest in her, you'd grow old super fast if you do that."

I huff, agitated.

"So what? I should just watch as the guy openly flirts and ogles at her?"

Gabe shook his head, "I'm saying to trust her. You said her last best friend scarred her, right? That ought to have wisened her up by now. Even if she's acting oblivious, I'm sure she'll set her boundaries." His words were calming, they really were. "I guess," I said, putting off the ignition.