|15| • Everest

Never in my thirty-two years of life did I think I'd be in a white my little pony apron, fidgeting my ass off beside the girl I'd come to adore. Her smile stretched so vastly, the guess that she shed a tear wouldn't even come to mind. Seeing Amelia's tears tore a piece of my heart, I silently prayed she'd understand when explaining the entire ordeal to her.

Unlike what I was used to, she didn't spring on her feet and curse at me for leaving her hanging. She asked if Gabe was alright. How sweet could this little lady be? I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that Abel and she were siblings, I mean, the similarities were there but...I didn't see it coming. I'm sure her brother had become suspicious of me, his glare affirmed my thoughts.

But goodness, I meant no harm.

"Everest?" Her light, adorable voice pitched out my name, bringing me from the realm of thoughts. Humming instantly, I look down at her with a nervous smile. The first agenda of our 'mini' date was baking. Ha, I'd never baked a thing in my life; her grin made me agree right away though. "You're the chef, remember?"

"Shi--I mean, I am?" To be honest, it felt vulgar to curse in front of Amelia, it seemed like her big doe eyes absorbed my every move. Amelia giggled, an airy sound on her plump lips. "Yes, silly. You said yes, remember?" Ah, right. How could I not?

Chuckling at the girl, I nodded white itching the back of my neck. You know what? I'd try to bake the best damn cake I could. "What's first, little lady?" I teased, leaning over with a smirk. If I didn't know I'd have pegged the bright smile on her face as a confident one but I knew she was squirming underneath. "W-well..." Her stutter validated it.

She puffed out her chest, pointing her index in the air. "We're making a confetti cake! I have some ice cream in the freezer so that could be our dessert." Amelia began with a cute cheese. A confetti cake...how amusing. "I assume you'll direct me?" She smirked, tilting her head.

"If I don't we'd be eating stones by the next hour." She teased, shrugging her shoulder innocently like she didn't just dent my ego. "Oh? You have jokes, I see." Amelia rose up her hands in surrender as my hands subconsciously went to her sides.

"E-Everest!" She squealed, trying to squirm out of my hold. Deciding to stop, I removed my hands from her sides, the smile refusing to fade from my lips. If Saffron saw how big I was grinning right now, I wouldn't hear the end of it. "That reminds me, you haven't told me how dashing I look in the apron you gave me."

I hummed jokingly, taking a step back and striking a subtle pose which as expected, drew fits of laughter from her belly. "My bad." Amelia scrunched up her nose, her faded girl orbs seeming brighter than before.

Thank God they weren't red anymore. "You do look handsome, even more with the apron on," Amelia commented seriously, fiddling with her thumb which gave out her nervousness. "I did make an effort because of today," I admitted with a shrug, dusting the apron of the nonexistent dirt.

Her eyebrows drew up, "Oh, I see." She muttered cutely.

"So! Let's begin." The little lady interjected into the silence, clapping her hands. As she instructed me on the measurements of the flour and eggs, I took them to her house. It was fairly big and homey, and my curiosity peaked when I spotted a picture on top of the cabinet. It was of a woman, a teenage boy and a small girl. The woman was beautiful, a resemblance to Amelia so daunting. That was her mother, was she not around anymore? I'd never heard Amelia speak of her.

Noticing that Amelia had stopped talking, I glanced over to see she was already looking at me. Her face wasn't lifted in a smile, she seemed conflicted as she saw what I had been focusing on. Was I intruding? "I'm sorry." I didn't know why I was apologizing, it just seemed convenient. Amelia shook her head, looking at a picture of her mother with a sad smile.