|66| • Amelia

I intertwined Everest's hands in mine, holding it tight.

I liked the feeling of his large ones covering mine. Humming to myself, I let my eyes trace the veins which branched out from his wrist to every finger. He had his other hand on the steering wheel, his head bobbing to the music which oozed from the radio. Everest and I agreed to visit Papa today, much to my hesitance — seeing as I hadn't spoken to him in a long while.

In my own little world, I lifted my finger, beginning to trace the veins on his hands. I found it beyond attractive, was that weird? I wondered how it'd look trailing all over my body— I mean...never mind that. Shaking my head from the incoming red thoughts, I glanced over to him.

Last week, when he told me how he felt about Raul and I's friendship, I felt a bit bad. It was like a replay of Darrick's. And he was right then too. Did Raul not want to be my friend? Was he being flirty because he wanted to be much more than a friend to me? On countless occasions, I'd told him about Evie being my boyfriend and he acknowledged it. Hence, I guess I kind of deemed all his remarks as being cheesy or playful.

I knew some people liked to touch their friends when talking, so I didn't mind when he put his hands over my shoulders. But honestly...if Evie put his hands on another woman's shoulders, I knew how uncomfortable I'd feel. My lips pursed in a frown. Was I being inconsiderate of Evie's feelings?

I didn't mean to.

Was it so hard to have a guy friend who'd just want to be my friend?

Just like Preston!

Oh, how I missed Preston and the others in Margret's Delight. I wondered how they were all doing. Recalling how adorable Hugh and Ava were, I found myself smiling. Perhaps they had gotten together now. Maybe I could go see them today! It wouldn't take a while, just to say hello to them! Oh and Mrs. M too!

"If you keep staring I'd have a hole in my head in no time." I heard Evie say, turning to me with a sideways glance. Blinking away from my thoughts, I realized I was staring in his direction with a small smile on my face. That would have definitely felt awkward for him. Letting out a nervous laugh, I looked away. "I happened to be staring in your direction, not at you," I say with a hint of sass, shrugging my shoulders. Everest smirked, squeezing my palms. "That's so?"

"Yep, rightly so."

"Someone has a mouth today." He muttered, smiling to himself. I turned to him while raising my eyebrows. "I always have a mouth, silly." Evie hummed, caressing his fingers slightly above my knee, hiking up my gown. I was wearing a knee-length casual Victorian dress today, it was white and had a dainty effect to it, the sleeves puffed slightly at the shoulder blades. Evie was the one who got it for me, he said it'd fit me, and it did.

"I remember when you'd stutter nearly every word out as if you were scared of me."

I huffed, trying not to focus on his hands.

"I wasn't scared of you! You just made me nervous."

He smirked, "And why's that?" It was because I liked him of course. Goodness, I couldn't imagine a more mature man like him, handsome and so, say he had feelings for me, would come to my house basically breathless, apologizing for standing me up on a date, a date! Gosh, now here I was, holding his hands and him calling me baby.

"Because...I found you weird." I decided to say, sticking out my tongue.

He breathed out, feigning shock. "Oh, now I'd love to hear that story." How dare this man caress my lap going higher each time and feign innocence this way? I cleared my throat, not wanting to seem affected by his touch. I could tell by the subtle smile on his face and the way his index rubbed feathery circles on my skin that he knew what he was doing.