|29| • Everest

"Oh, aren't you adorable!"

Cas gushed, enclosing Amelia into a friendly hug as though they were long-time friends. Amelia squealed, reciprocating with as much familiarity. "Oh my! It's really nice to meet you. You look so beautiful!" Amelia matched her excitement. I smiled, it was nice to see them get along. Turning to Bran, I gave him a dap.

"Nice to finally meet you, Bran."

He let out a loud laugh, "It's a pleasure." Bran was tall, built and honey-skinned. He matched Cas' description to the T. A lively and wholesome man, not too bad on the eyes as well. "So, a married man now, huh?" Bran chuckled, nodding his head proudly before his hands sneaked a hand over Cas' waist. "Surreal I tell ya. But it's pretty darn amazing already." Goodness, the sweetness was almost unbearable. "It better be." She replied snarkily.

Amelia fiddled with the present, was she waiting for the perfect time to present her gift? A smirk stretched on my lips, gosh, this little lady was too cute. "Amelia got you two something." Amelia's gasp made me purse my lips instantly. Oops. She straightened up, "It's nothing special, I just thought to get you a congratulations gift. I...I hope you like it."

Cas awed, taking the box from her. "Bran, look! It's one of those matching bracelets."

"Thanks a lot, Amelia! This is lovely."

"Really? It's my pleasure, I'm really glad you like it." She said, beaming. "We have other guests to greet. Enjoy the rest of your day! You better keep in touch, Everest Simon." We hugged goodbye and waited until they were out of sight. "See? I told you she'd like it." Amelia grinned, holding her palms against her chest. "I was super nervous, I thought she'd find it weird." I pulled her in, shortening the distance between us. "Of course not."

The waiter came with glasses of champagne on the tray, and since I was driving, I declined. Amelia stared at me as if asking if she could take it as well. It wasn't like I'd like to tell her what to do, so I shrugged. Hiding her smile while biting her lips, she took a glass, thanking the man.

"You don't drink? I've never seen you drink before."

"I'm driving us back, so I'd rather not. How about you? I didn't know you had an acquired taste." I teased, could she even handle her alcohol? Proving my question, Amelia shook her head. "I don't really drink, I just want to have a taste. It looks good." Knowing how much she fancied sweets, this would definitely not be to her liking. "Go ahead, then."

Slowly, she rose the glass to her lips, "It doesn't smell so good..." She trailed off before taking a gulp. Her face scrunched up right on cue, bringing out her tongue in disdain. "Evie! This is horrid! You should have warned me!" Oh? Her words made me laugh. "Warned you? You seemed determined to taste it, so why would I?"

"It's bitter. Why are they drinking it like it's so tasty?" Amelia's button nose was still scrunched up. "You're not going in for seconds?" She glared at my teasing. "It burns my throat. I'd be a giggling mess if I do." She handed me the drink.

One drink wouldn't hurt. I gulped it down.

"It's pretty good."

"Huh? Your tastebuds must be asleep." Amelia jested with a snicker. "Asleep? Here I was thinking they put a bit of sweetener in it." She scoffed, tucking her arm into mine.

"You promised me a dance." It was then I realized people around us were paired up and swaying to the music. When last did I dance like this? It'd been a long time. Hopefully, I hadn't developed two left feet over the years.

"You're going to have to lead me, baby. I'm not a dancer by default."

She hummed, looking up at me. "I don't mind." Could I ever get used to being this close to her? Amelia placed her hands on my shoulder, her chest pressed close to mine. Her waist felt smaller wearing this gown, the silk material making the feeling better. "I used to take classes on etiquette in high school. They thought us the ballroom dance there." Her voice was soft, her hips moving to the rhythm of the song.