|79| • Everest

"It's nice to have you looking better."

My eyebrows went up at his knowing smile. I could see a bit of pity in his gesture, but I ignored it. Perhaps Amelia had finally told him what happened a while back. Abel formed a thin-lipped expression, tapping my shoulders reassuringly. As expected, I came to work today, but this time feeling a tad bit better. I spent longer in the shower today, trimming my brows, which had grown out of place without shaving weeks ago. I also put a bit more effort into my dressing, using a scoop of gel to style my hair.

I guess that all paid off, seeing as he complimented my look. Giving him a half-assed smile, I gladly took the comment. I knew the guys around here noticed something was up. I was just too in my feelings to respond to their looks of concern and frequent 'You good, man?' no, I wasn't good. But now, now I was a bit better.

Taking off my jacket, I hung it on the shelf, tying the apron around my waist. "Thanks, it's good to be back," I replied to Abel's remark. It was good to be back, especially when I was going to see Amelia today. I wasn't sure when she was coming, but I knew seeing her today would be inevitable. I was nervous, to say the least; how long had it been since I left? The thought made me cringe; a part of me constantly wished I didn't run, it made me feel cowardly. In all honestly, I needed the break. Was there another way that could have occurred without leaving for weeks?

I wasn't sure how long it had been, but I knew it was definitely more than one week. One week without seeing her, one weak with a darn heavy heart. It wasn't a good experience, I'll tell you that. Abel snorted, his lips stretching. "I was getting worried for a minute. Wouldn't want my brother-in-law falling sick." He said teasingly, nudging me in the ribs. I tensed at his comment.

Brother-in-law?

Oh, right, he probably knew I was going to propose.

I laughed, waving the thought off. "Sick? I'm stronger than five means combined, you don't have to worry." I jested back, flexing my biceps, which made me throw his head back in laughter. "That so?" Abel chuckled, "Alright, superman, I'll leave you to it. Don't work so hard, okay?"

"Aren't you meant to say the opposite?" I called out after him with a smirk. "Don't let the other smell your favouritism." Abel cackled when I said once more; he waved his hands while walking away. It was true that I'd been drowning in work recently. If I weren't working, the depressing thoughts would flood in. I didn't want that, so I occupied my mind with the noise outside.

"Someone's laughing a bit more." I heard a familiar voice call out. When I turned around, Rasu was smirking my way. "Is that right?" The words slipped out sarcastically, and Rasu nodded. "I'm glad you aren't so in your feelings anymore." He said, tapping my back. This made me think, did I look so depressed? It was as though they were congratulating me for coming out from depression. Sheesh, I almost shrank back in embarrassment.

"I guess you could say I'm better now."

"Talked to your woman yet?"

I tensed, knitting my eyebrows together. "Why'd you ask?" I thought she'd arrive but when I looked around, I only saw a few clients. Rasu laughed. "I assumed that was the reason for you being so sad. Besides, I haven't seen her in a while." His words made me think, I guess they really knew what was up but decided not to pry. Nodding to his question, I leaned against the wall. "I have, actually; good thing you'll see her today."

Rasu grinned, "So the woman is coming? No wonder you're a buzzing man!"

Cheesing, I rolled my eyes playfully at his jest. "Of course, I'm buzzing. But yeah, she was in culinary school for a while, so she couldn't come here." I explained, and Rasu nodded. I had to admit I missed Amelia coming to the workshop. Even when she had just moved in, the thought crossed my mind once or twice. I guess I kind of liked it when she came to my place of work, and the guys would jest. Smiling, I shook my head.