CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

"Was it just me or was Hisham Hosseini the other name for bipolar?"- Isma Taib.

Silence!

A pin drop silence!

That's all that reigned in the car for quite a good few seconds only for it to be quickly broken by none other than Hisham.

"I am hungry!"

Isma quickly looked up at the rear view mirror to catch a quick glimpse of his face with nothing but extreme confusion etched over every nook and cranny of her face.

Excuse me, what?

Did he just say he was hungry?

Wasn't this the same person that was stuffing his face with sandwiches alongside his brothers just but a few seconds ago?

Could someone please explain?

Was this even normal?

I mean, what?

Her confusion got shelved for a few mini seconds by a mini urge to loudly chuckle as soon as Hussein Hosseini replied with...

"We only halt if you're starving!"

"I am!"

"To DEATH!"

"Consider me so if I don't get a chicken and cheese pie in the next few seconds!"

"On a scale of 1 to 10 how starved are you?"

"11!"

"Only?"

"It's gonna head to a twenty if I pass one more drive thru without stopping!"

"Stop then!"

Speeding out of sheer excitement for a chicken pie, Hisham abruptly took the very next U turn, causing Isma to get shoved against the car's door and the very moment he heard he wince for the second time that morning, he quickly slowed down if not almost stopped the car.

Barely being audible he instantly mumbled out...

"S...sorry!"

"It's okay!"

"Sorry Isma, Hisham here has a thing for anything 'food'!" said Hussein.

"Clearly Sir and it's totally okay. In fact it's my fault. I forgot to buckle up!"

Taking off his Ray Bans, Hisham looked at the rear view mirror, only for Isma to do the very same and for the umpteenth time that day, their once again coincidentally met and despite it being for just but a microsecond, Isma didn't at all fail to catch the immense look of concern that lay deep within his eyes.

A look of immense concern laced with a myriad of questions!

Questions he seemed to be dying to get answers to!

Ugh!

She really needed to stop with the wincing but then again, how could she really?

How could she when the wounds and bruises from her father's torturous beating only seemed to be getting fresher and fresher by the minute?

How could she when the sound of the lashes still echoed way too loudly in her ears?

How could she when...

Hot tears stained her eyes and a stray tear even attempted to trickle down her face which she hastily wiped away even before it could move a Planck's length.

How she wished she could do the very same for her pain!

Just wipe it away!

Wipe it away before anyone saw it or heard it!