The dharma upholders

Karna's pov

The walk back to Hastinapur's palace discussing their exhibition ended too soon for Karna's liking.

It turned out that Arjun thought exactly the same way he did. They did not find a single topic to disagree upon. Of course clash in opinions was not a bad thing, thought Karna instantly, because he and Duryodhan had wildly differing worldviews, as he was sure Arjun must have with Yudhishthir or Bheem.

But someone who thought in the exact same way was a uniquely delightful discovery all the same.

They could hardly have been more similar if they had grown up together like they had deserved to.

Arjun did not leave for their quarters when they entered the palace gates like Karna had expected; they lingered in the lawn, strolling as they talked.

"King of Anga," Arjun said abruptly. "I am sorry I was so rude to you." 

Karna was taken aback.

"You see, Sahadev had a theory--though he was the first to act against it--"

"Yes, I know," said Karna. "He thought I was acting friendly with you for Duryodhan's benefit."

"He told you?" said Arjun in disbelief.

"Nakul did, actually."

Arjun mumbled something like, "Stupid idiot."

"He's a great kid," said Karna, feeling compelled to defend Nakul, whom he had grown extremely fond of.

"I know," Arjun told him. "I am his brother."

So am I.

Karna only thought the words, though he wanted to speak them aloud very badly. 

Instead, he said, "I am sorry I was rude to you before as well. I hope we can forget all that, Arjun."

"Certainly," said Arjun. "I only--"

Yudhishthir appeared out in the lawn and did a double take when he saw Karna and Arjun walking together.

"Jyesht! Jyesht!" Arjun hailed him excitedly. "Do you know what we have planned for New Year's Eve?" He turned to Karna. "Are you going to tell everyone or let it remain a surprise?"

Karna smiled. "You can tell him if you want."

"No, let's not," decided Arjun. "We should probably execute it hidden and remain anonymous even that day, or how on earth is Duryodhan going to react?"

Karna almost stumbled.

"Thanks for reminding me," he muttered. "Yes, we will certainly be hidden." 

"I assume you have planned something related to archery?" said Yudhishthir. "Do keep in mind if it becomes obvious there are two brilliant archers in action, and you and Arjun are nowhere to be found, King of Anga, Duryodhan will know you are part of it anyway."

"We can worry about that later," said Arjun hastily.

"You should worry about it before you've planned it all out and set your heart on it, child," said Yudhishthir patiently.

"I have already set my heart on it, jyesht. Can we take just him in the plan, King of Anga?"

"Why not?" said Karna.

Arjun outlined it to Yudhishthir.

"Can we make it a contest?" he added. "We can invite King Drupad over here with his best archers. We will defeat them squarely, we will humiliate them and avenge Gurudev."

"No," said Karna and Yudhishthir together.

"You forget the King of Anga is not fond of our guru, Arjun," said Yudhishthir drily.

"That is not the main reason," said Karna. "Hastinapur has no need to strike up enmity with a kingdom over petty issues, Arjun."

"Are you not a friend of Duryodhan," asked Arjun in concern, "who strikes up petty enmities with everyone, including his cousins?"

"I cannot accept you speaking that way about Prince Duryodhan," said Karna gruffly.

"Sorry," said Arjun, abashed.

Karna had not expected that; neither had Yudhishthir from the way his eyebrows flew up. When he had recovered, he said, "My point exactly, King of Anga. Exhibiting your skill and using it to humiliate someone are two very different things. The second one is not right."

"You are both quite similar, you know," observed Arjun. "The dharma upholders."

Karna looked at Yudhisthir and found his head bowed.

"Your feet remind me of someone's," said Yudhishthir in a contemplative tone.

Karna choked.

"Why are you looking at his feet?" demanded Arjun.

"He is elder to us, Arjun."

"Am I supposed to look at your feet and talk to you now, jyesht?"

"No," said Yudhishthir. "Since you are my baby brother, I forgive you of every insolence."

"I am never insolent to you, jyesht!" Arjun sounded scandalized.

As the brothers bantered, Karna glanced down at his feet surreptitiously. He could not recall how Queen Mother Kunti's feet looked like, though he had undoubtedly touched them more than once.

Maybe he should pay her a visit sometime. 

If Yudhishthir was reminded of Kunti's feet by his own, he would have to take an active effort to hide them.

"How long till you return to Anga?" Arjun broke into Karna's thoughts.

"I don't know--I thought of returning tomorrow morning--"

"Stay a few days more," said Arjun in a coaxing way. "We could practice for New Year's Eve, and go hunting."

Karna was so overcome at being asked to stay that he couldn't come up with a suitable reply in time.

"He has a kingdom to run, Arjun," said Yudhishthir.

"No, it's all right," said Karna. "It's all right--I can stay a week."

Arjun grinned. It was grin Karna had seen millions of times when he used to spy on his brothers, but never directed at him. It was good-natured and friendly and it made him feel warm inside. 

Later, as they parted ways, Yudhishthir gave Karna an appraising look that seemed to ask how he had won over Arjun, who was well-known for his will and stubbornness. Karna did not have a very good idea himself, so he shook his head.

Yudhishthir's smile said that things were going exactly as he would have liked.

For some reason, the word 'jyesht' in Arjun's excited voice stuck in Karna's ear for a very long. 

If Maharani Kunti had not abandoned her firstborn, Arjun would not be calling Yudhishthir by that endearing, adorable, possessive word. 

The idea of Arjun calling him by that title started to make Karna despondent, which was when he decided to stop thinking of it. 

He would go to Duryodhan and Dussashan--he had not even informed them he had arrived at Hastinapur. Duryodhan would be most upset if he got to know from a third person Karna had been flinging arrows with Arjun and enjoying himself. He would probably be so upset and furious he couldn't even gauge it; he sprinted for the Kaurava quarters.

Yet Arjun's voice kept ringing in his ear.

Jyesht.