Karna's resolve: Part II

Karna's pov

The month left for New Year was almost over. Even between taking care that Duryodhan never spotted him sneaking off to the fields to practice with Arjun, Karna wondered if he should tell his friend.

Hiding the truth was practically lying, anyway. He could not lie to his best friend.

"Duryodhan," he began the evening before the show was scheduled.

"Yes?" said Duryodhan, who was busy in a game of dice with Uncle Shakuni.

"You know the displays put on in the New Year's Eve celebration?" said Karna nervously. "The ones everyone in the kingdom come to watch?"

"Yeah--yes, they're awesome--take that, Uncle!"

"I was, um, planning to be part of one of the shows..."

"You?" Duryodhan asked, astonished. "What, can you sing or dance or act?"

"No, no," said Karna in alarm. "It's like a fireworks display in the sky. Using archery."

Duryodhan beamed. "Well, that's great! Whatever you do with your bow and arrow is bound to be spectacular. I can bask in your reflected glory."

"Er--the thing is--" broke in Karna. "Arjun's also part of it," he blurted out in one breath, so fast that it sounded more like, 'Arjun'sloparit.'

Duryodhan's expression changed.

"Now you are taking part in social events with Arjun, too?"

It did sound terrible, the way he put it. Even more so because the display had been Karna's idea in the first place.

Aswatthama, unexpectedly, came to his rescue.

"You must remember why he is socializing with them, Duryodhan," he said. "To gain any leverage over them, he needs to win their trust. And archery is the best way to draw Arjun into trusting someone. I became friends with him over the same."

Duryodhan looked at Karna for confirmation. 

Karna hated the fact that he had to nod his assent, that he could not say outright that he did not want any leverage over the Pandavas, he simply wanted their trust.

"I think Karna is being very smart," added Aswatthama.

All right, don't overdo it, Karna tried to convey to him. 

Duryodhan seemed to have bought the excuse and relaxed; Shakuni watched them all through narrowed eyes.

********************

Among all the performances on New Year's Eve in Hastinapur, the one that raised the loudest cheers and longest standing ovation was the archery one.

From their vantage points on opposite terraces, Karna spotted Arjun waving at him enthusiastically as the people below yelled their heads off. Karna waved back, laughing.

Looking below, though, his laugh died. The royalty were discernable even from this high up, because they were raised on the podium. Mostly everyone was clapping; Kunti looked the proudest of all; Bheem and Nakul were jumping. But Duryodhan's forehead was creased even as he clapped.

The look he cast up at the terraces, even if he could not spot Karna and Arjun, was doomy.

******************* 

Once they had alighted, an exceedingly elaborate dinner was being laid by the servants. Anyone could come to claim their share tonight, from the holiest Brahmin to the poorest Sudra.

Karna was besieged with admiration whichever way he looked; Bheem hailed him over, where he found that his younger brothers were also inclined to do the same.