𝐯. if it feels like a trap . . .

ੈ。゚  ・ׂׂ   ✩  RED ⌇˚ɞ act i . . .
change in perspective               

· 。゚ *. 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑  FIVE ,
───── ❛ if it feels like a trap . . .

     "THE LIGHTS ARE on inside, maybe it's open

     "THE LIGHTS ARE on inside, maybe it's open." Annabeth shrugged, wistfully looking at the light that seeped through the crack underneath the door. The comforting smell of food wafted through the air, tempting the hungry and cold demigods.

"Snack bar." Percy mumbled longingly. "Snack bar." The blonde repeated, nodding in agreement.

"Are you guys nuts? This place is weird." Grover told them, his eyes wandering over to the creepy statues that stared at him, a crack down the sides of one's face.

Before the satyr's eyes, a single flower popped up in a crack of the stone, splitting it further ever so slightly. Grover raised his brows in Laurie's direction, ignoring the shake of her head as she refocused her vision and said, "There, now it looks prettier. Happy?"

The demigod raised a fist to knock on the door, only for her friend to yank it down and say, "Don't knock! I smell monsters."

"Your nose is all clogged up from the Furies," Annabeth interjected with a sigh. "All I smell is burgers. Aren't you hungry?"

Grover scowled at that, sticking his tongue out as he dramatically said, "Meat, bleh! I'm a vegetarian!"

"You eat cheese enchiladas and aluminum cans." Percy deadpanned. Grover crossed his arms in response and defended himself with: "Those are vegetables!"

The door in front of them then creaked open slowly, revealing a tall woman with coffee-colored skin clad in all black. Not much was distinguishable about her aside from her glittering eyes, their color indeterminable thanks to the black veil that curtained them.

When she spoke, a thick Middle Eastern accent flowed past her lips, asking the kids, "Children, it's too late to be out all alone. Where are your parents?"

Annabeth opened her mouth to speak, preparing a logical response that would trick the lady when Percy beat her to it, blurting out, "We're orphans."

"Orphans?" The woman asked, her voice sounding calmly alarmed. "But my dears! Surely not!"

Percy nodded sullenly as he looked at her with wide puppy-like eyes. "We— we got separated from our caravan. Our circus caravan. The ringmaster told us to meet him at a gas station if we got lost, but maybe he forgot. Or maybe this is the wrong station."

"Anyways, we're lost. Is that food I smell?" He finished, his gaze shifting to peer through the door.

"Oh my dears," the lady cooed in sympathy, placing a hand over her heart. She then pulled the door completely open, saying, "You must come in, poor children. I am Aunty Em. Go straight through to the back of the warehouse, please. There is a dining area there."