𝐢𝐱. poker face

ੈ。゚ ・ׂׂ ✩ RED ⌇˚ɞ act i . . .
     change in perspective

· 。゚ *.  𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 NINE ,
───── ❛ poker face 

       AS IT TURNED out, Ares was a terrible travel agent

   AS IT TURNED out, Ares was a terrible travel agent. Their grand ride west that he'd promised them was a hitchhike in the back of what Grover had called "the zoo-mobile", aka a dark and dingy trailer that housed a zebra, a lion, and an antelope-like animal that even Annabeth didn't know the name of.

The four kids were crowded in behind some mildewed sacks, trying to ignore both the undeniable stench and heat in the trailer.

The poor caged-up animals in with them proved that their owners weren't anywhere near qualified. The zebra's mane was matted with chewing gum and the antelope had a silvery balloon floated from one of its antlers, the two animals staring at the styrofoam tray of hamburger meat in front of them that was obviously supposed to be given to the lion.

Said lion was pacing back and forth as flies swarmed around it, ignoring the sack of turnips thrown at its feet instead of its proper food.

Grover angrily bleated back and forth with the animals and eventually convinced his friends to aid him in helping the animals, swapping their food and providing them with water from a stowed away jug. Annabeth cut loose the balloon from the antelope's antler after Grover successfully calmed it down, and they promised to help the animals more in the morning when their transport wasn't so bumpy and unpredictable.

Grover curled up on a sack of turnips thrown against a wall as Laurie tucked away in a corner, leaned up against a few water gallons. Annabeth opened the packet of Oreos that Ares had provided in his little gift bag and chewed on one halfheartedly. Percy stared at the ground in front of him, twisting Riptide's handle in his hands.

"Hey," the daughter of Athena spoke into the dimly lit darkness. "I'm sorry for freaking out on you guys back at the water park."

Laurie and Percy waved it off, telling her that it was alright. Wasn't like anybody died, right?

"And I'm . . . sorry for what I said back at Medusa's, Laurie." Annabeth added quietly, not looking at the girl but hoping that she was awake to hear the apology this time.

The brunette's head lifted and Annabeth could've sworn that she saw a smile, even in the dark.

" 'S fine. I'm sorry too." She shrugged. "Just . . everything's still kinda . . . different, y'know?"

Annabeth nodded silently and pursed her lips together, hugging her knees to her chest with a free arm. Percy couldn't stand the silence, and so he said,

"We're a team, right?"

"Besides, Grover's the peace-keeper and fancy flyer." He added, cracking a smile.