12. Hug

(Warning: Mention of Suicide)

"Jeonghan Hyung...I got your message..erm" Wonwoo shuffled uncomfortably in his seat. He was still getting used to calling the Crown Prince 'hyung'.

"Seungcheol ah now can you please tell us what happened." Jeonghan whined as he pinched the guard's biceps.

"I went to meet Jangmi. She was scared at first and thought I will behead her for liking a girl but eventually she calmed down."

Jeonghan chortled as he shook Wonwoo gleefully.

Seungcheol ignored Jeonghan's never-ending laughter and continued
"Anways, she had no more letters of Nako. That was the last time she received a letter. There was this guy in the palace who smuggled letters and sweets of the maids to their families. He is the older brother of Nako apparently, but he too disappeared with Nako."

The stoic guard waited a moment to clear his throat before he revealed another dead end to their investigation
"His name is Nagi. Nagi was chased away from home because of a fight so the family had no contact with Nagi."

"Did she say anything about the man Nako mentioned?" Jeonghan chimed in.

"No, all Nako said were in those letters, they never met after Nako left for the palace. But Nagi once mentioned when he brought Nako's letter that Nako always talked about a kind gentleman who could make their lives better."

Jeonghan pointed to the heap of letters lying nearby " Jangmi can't help much as expected. We should burn the letters that way she can be safe from both the society and the criminals because now she is a witness."

"Yeah I agree. Let's burn those right now." Wonwoo jumped to his feet and grabbed all the letters.

Seungcheol quickly brought in a few firewood and started a fire in the backyard. They burned all the letters hoping the dangers will all blow away from Jangmi like the smoke.

"What are you wearing to the banquet tomorrow?" Jeonghan coughed through the smoke.

"What banquet?"

"Yaa...Wonwoo ya what will I do with you. Tomorrow is the Queen's birthday, you prepared a present right?

Wonwoo looked at Jeonghan's baffled face in confusion and groaned "Do I really have to attend a banquet now?"

"Yes you do. Soon you will receive an invitation I assume."

Wonwoo had this gut feeling that Jeonghan will make him do something weird as a birthday present. He decided to leave the residence quickly and bowed to his company "Okay now that the letters are burnt I will return."

No matter how he desparately wished to not receive an invitation, there sure was one when he reached his residence.

"Am I supposed to wear something fancy?" Wonwoo handed the invitation to Mingyu.

"Yeah. The Queen's birthday banquet have always been very lavish. I once went there with my father."

Wonwoo entertained the possibilities of faking an illness but decided against it "I don't have a choice do I?"

He crashed into his bed and threw the invitation
"Find me some decent clothes and find one for you as well. And prepare some nice flowers."

Mingyu raised his eyebrows and inquired "You want me to come along?"

"For moral support."

"As you wish. My Lord."
Mingyu chuckled and excused himself out of the chamber to prepare for the banquet.