Chapter 20

When the golden rays of sunlight broke through my window, I let out a loud tiresome groan. I was in a lazy mood and didn't feel like getting up for the day.

I hear the faint tap of footsteps, but ignored them. I knew it couldn't have been Mateo because his footsteps are thunderous and followed by the squeal of his tiny excitement-filled voice.

Which means the footsteps had to belong to Tristan. They're surprisingly stealthy. So I didn't realize he'd stopped beside the bed until my ass was lit aflame.

I yelped from the stinging pain left on my ass from his handprint, Tristan finding no fault in his actions despite the angry glare on my face.

"Buongiorno, mamma(Goodmorning, mama)," he greeted, flashing me with a smile he knew would melt away my anger.

I tried not to smile as I rolled onto my back and pulled myself upright so I could shove him as I hard as I could.

It was of no use, because like a stubborn tree, Tristan didn't move. In fact, he didn't even stumble.

Instead he leaned down, trapping me in between his vein-filled arms and kissed my nose.

I turned the other cheek when he moved to kiss my lips. He frowned and grabbed my face with his large, inked hand.

"Move away from my kiss again and see what happens," he growled out threateningly.

The burning gaze he was boring into me was a testament to his threat, which I considered challenging. He could see it in my eyes that I was willing to fight back. The look he gave me dared me to try him.

And I almost did until I heard the familiar sound of those little footsteps storming into the room.

Tristan and I both turned our heads as Mateo jumped into bed. He crawled in between us, forcing us apart as he settled in my lap. His hand was other his father's chest as he attempted and failed to push him away.

"Mine," he shouted, daring his father to try and kiss me again.

I sighed.

Mateo is definitely his.

Tristan wanted to be angry. And tried so very hard to be. But seeing his son before him always softened him.

The frown on his face curled upward into a grin. "Okay. You win this time."

Mateo flashed him with a pleased smile. Tristan rolled his eyes before heading into the bathroom.

While he took his shower, I escorted Mateo out of the room so I could get him dressed and ready for the day.

It didn't take me long, Mateo quite independent when it came to washing up and brushing his teeth.

"Let me see that smile," I commanded, watching him smile wide from in the reflection of the mirror. "Good job," I praised before giving him a high-five.

When we left the bathroom to head downstairs, Beast was waiting out in the hall. He trudged along side Mateo, guarding him as Tristan had trained him to do.

Upon entering the kitchen, I was hit with the delicious aroma of breakfast foods. It smelled of pancake batter and bacon.

"Goodmorning," I greeted, seeing that Katya and Mrs. Lucci were already at the table. Mrs. Lucci insists that I address her by first name, Nadia. But I've just gotten so used to addressing her in a formal manner that I often forget we're officially and legally family now.

I sat down at the table and fixed Mateo a plate. When he tried to reach for his bacon, Mrs. Lucci lightly smacked his hand away and scolded him in Italian.