3. Stray Away

Wednesday Addams

"What a lovely roommate you have Wednesday."

I turned fully to my mother with a scowl on my face. I don't agree with the comment she made. Enid is not lovely in any way, shape, or form to me. She's further away from being lovely.

"I'd prefer you switch lovely to horrendous. Enid is already too much to bear. I'll need a rope and shovel, so I can drag her deceased body and bury her. Then, I won't have to deal with a pest in the room," I averted my eyes to each member of my family.

Neither of them reacted the way I expected them to. My parents held a small smile while not seeming phased by my alarming words. My brother appeared zoned out and bored, not paying much attention to the interactions in front of him.

"You'll be just fine, my scorpion. You have Thing to keep you company," my father tried to cheer me up but failed.

Perfect timing. Thing appeared into the room, using his fingers to crawl between my family and I on the floor. He waved his fingers to me in which I slightly tilted my head down in response.

"Now that Thing is here, it's best we should be on our way home. Before we go, your father and I bought you a small gift. Think of it as your early birthday present," my mother mentioned as my father dug out a black box in his suit.

He handed it to me as I accepted the box. I lifted the lid that came with it, and inside was revealed to be an all black phone. It has a drawing of an apple on the back of it. There were a few buttons on the side of the smartphone along with weird shaped holes on the bottom. In the box is also a white cord. I guessed that the cord is used to strangle my victims. How pleasant.

"We've purchased the newest and most expensive phone there is," my father grinned ear to ear.

"Is it really necessary to buy me a phone? You of all people should know I loathe anything that involves the internet and technology. Teenagers' brains are rotting and turning them into zombies because of social media. This will negatively impact me," I acknowledged.

"Only use it to call us. We have our phone number on there. Maybe you could ask Enid for her number."

"I would rather stab myself through the heart and bleed to death than ask Enid for her phone number. I'm mind blown that my own parents have an abomination too," I retorted without delaying my answer.

"That's the spirit sweetheart. Enjoy yourself in Nevermore, and don't do anything reckless that could get you expelled," my mother gave me a heads up before blowing imaginary kisses on the side of my cheek without touching it.

Next up was my father and brother. They both gave me an unwanted hug in which I never returned. I stood there with my arms to my sides as I waited for them to let go. They did so and took a step back for me to gain my personal space back.

"I'm gonna miss you sis," Pugsley finally spoke out.

"You've turned delicate and frail. Better change it when we meet again," I commanded.

Pugsley didn't say anything and turned away to leave the room alongside my father. I was left with my other parent before she started to walk through the doorway. She paused for a few seconds and looked back at me.

"Behave, Wednesday," was the last thing my mother uttered before she closed the door and left the room.

I stood there, staring at the door when I felt a familiar hand crawl onto my leg and up on my shoulder. I glanced at Thing who was tapping and signing words to me.

What happened while I was gone?

"Too much has happened that if I talk about it, it'll give me a major headache," I didn't bother explaining anything to Thing.