Hands

Marinette hasn't thrown up since she was a child, but she really thinks this is going to be the moment that breaks the streak. She's stuck inside an elevator with Adrien Agreste and his very expensive smelling cologne, just moments after he called her beautiful. Allegedly. He said it in a soft voice so fragile that Marinette isn't sure she heard him correctly. And if he did say it, Adrien flirts unashamedly according to the binder so he would've said it to her directly. He probably didn't even know that it came out of his mouth, he was just thinking it. And if he did say beautiful, he probably wasn't talking about her.

But the truth is, they were talking about her. He most likely does think she's beautiful, and she doesn't know how to feel about that. The whole world thinks these things about him, but Marinette is so small in the world. People rarely see her like that. It all just got so complicated and now she doesn't know why, but she feels annoyed with him.

She tried so hard all weekend to tell herself there was nothing there even when their arms were pressed against each other the entire night and here he was. Making her lose bets against herself- bets she can't afford to lose.

Adrien tries to pry the elevator doors open with his fingers for a few seconds before grabbing his company phone out of his pocket. He scrolls through a long list of contacts and calls someone. He looks at Marinette and gives her a heartening smile that she returns briefly before going on her own phone. She texts Alya because that is all she knows how to do.

Marinette: Alya SOS

Marinette: SOS means reply right away

Marinette: Alya SOS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Mr. Fournier," Adrien says in a charming voice. "Yes, it is me, Adrien Agreste. I have seem to run into a little problem at your building." Adrien steps over to the corner away from the doors, talking to the man about the elevator. They go back and forth, Adrien forgiving him most of the time because of the endless apologies that were rolling in.

Marinette stands at the left of Adrien, texting Alya her name over and over again until she finally replies.

Alya: you better be DYING right now! And I mean COLD in the hospital morgue

Alya: I was booking an interview with someone important and you kept making my phone vibrate

Marinette: Okay never mind

Marinette: Actually no

Marinette: But you can't laugh at me Alya I'm so serious

Alya: I haven't even made fun of you for Friday night yet girl you've been avoiding me

Marinette: I was busy making our masks

Alya: okay what's wrong?

Marinette: I'm stuck in an elevator with Adrien

Alya: Straddle him

Marinette: You are USELESS

She angrily shoves her phone in her purse and lets out a huff. Adrien is still on the phone, but he looks amused by her sudden private outburst. She doesn't have it in her to get embarassed about it, so leans back into the corner of the elevator, wishing she wore pants to work so she could sit down.

Adrien hangs up the phone with a thank you and tells her, "The fire department is on their way. He is deeply sorry and embarassed." He's not the only one.

"Was that Tiago Fournier?" Marinette asks. He was the current president of the company they were in, but he spent his first three decades in fashion designing. Marinette bought his autobiography, and it took her out of a sewing rut she was in.