12

Colby's POV

I hated how I was feeling.

Although I was not regretting running away with Julia, I was regretting the fact that I walked away from everything else.

The crime world was my place. It was where I thrived.

The feeling of someone being after you was a constant adrenaline rush.

It made me feel like I had a purpose and the power alone was something to miss.

I was trying to be strong for Julia because she was always so strong for me when I put her in dangerous situations.

Life just felt a little pointless at the moment. I didn't know what I was doing or when things would would get better.

"So, tell me about your day." I said as Julia dumped the abomination that was my attempt at spaghetti down the drain.

We decided to order a pizza since I dropped the ball on cooking. Julia and I were cleaning the kitchen while the kids watched TV in the other room.

"It was actually pretty easy. There was this really hot guy that came in though, so that was an extra bonus." She said as I nodded.

"Funny enough I went to get a drink before picking up the kids and my waitress was super hot, too." I said then smacked her ass as she washed the pan in her hand.

"It made me really happy that you came in to see me." She said and handed me the pan to dry and put away.

"Since I'm a loser, I'll probably be there every day." I said as she shook her head. "You're not a loser, Colby. You're just having to adjust and that's okay." She said then kissed my cheek.

I loved how supportive Julia was and how she wasn't rushing me to figure things out.

Sure, she had her moments of anxiety about money in the future but that was a normal reaction.

She was as unsure about the future as I was.

Julia and I cleaned up the kitchen then had a little pizza night with the kids.

It was so fun seeing the kids get so excited about the little things like having pizza for dinner.

I knew their childhood was rough and that they were never really able to experience normal things that older kids got to have so seeing them get some of those experiences was nice to see.

Julia was my favorite to watch though. Her childhood was ripped away from her completely and her siblings were ripped away from her twice.

I noticed she would watch Jenna, Carter, Sam, and Juniper when they weren't looking.

She would take in their emotions and their joy for life and she would thrive off of them, knowing she was helping them.

They were having the childhood she wished she had.

"Alright. Bed time." Julia said as she turned the movie off. "Ugh. Worst part of the day." Sam said as Julia stood up with Juniper in her arms.

"Really? I thought school would be the worst." I said and stood up. "You're right." He said with a sigh as Jenna went up the stairs.

"Night, Jen." Julia said as Jenna waved. "Night." She said then went upstairs.

"She's grumpy." Carter said as I nodded. "Probably a hormone thing, let Julia deal with that." I said as he laughed.

"Smart." He said then gave me a fist bump. "Goodnight." I said as he and Sam went upstairs. "I'm gonna bring her to bed." Julia said as I nodded.

As soon as she went up the stairs I pulled my phone out and went outside to have a quick smoke.