14

Colby's POV

"Fuuuck." I groaned as Julia walked out of the house. I knew I was fucking up with her but I couldn't tell her I was occasionally talking to Sam.

She would freak the hell out about it because she thought it would put her and the kids in danger but after thinking about it, I just didn't think it was possible.

Sam wasn't being tracked at the moment and even if he talked on the phone with me, there was no way anyone would know where I was.

Plus, what was I to the crime world anyways?

As far as anyone was concerned I was dead.

Once I knew Julia was gone, I grabbed my phone and called Sam back.

"Hey, man." Sam answered as I sighed. "Hey." I said then went outside again. "What's going on?" Sam asked as I lit up a cigarette.

"Jules is pissed at me. She thinks I'm hiding something from her." I said as he chuckled.

"I mean, you are." He said as I rolled my eyes. "What she doesn't know won't hurt her." I said and looked up.

"What's going on in the interesting part of the world." I said as he chuckled.

"Same old same old. We have a couple events coming up. Gonna go to Vegas at some point since Kat has been itching for a vacation. Maybe if you bring Jules to Vegas we can bump into you." Sam said as I hummed.

"I'd love to go to Vegas but Julia has work and the kids are too young to leave alone." I said with a frown.

"Ah, forgot you're in total dad mode with those kids." He said as I nodded. "They're good kids most of the time." I said then stood up to go inside.

"That's good. What are you up to? Found a job yet?" Sam asked as I shook my head and went towards the kitchen.

"I've thought about joining a gang behind Julia's back. I miss the thrill." I said and put my phone on speaker phone so I could make a sandwich.

"You know that's not a good idea." Sam said as I groaned. "I'm just sick of being a little house boyfriend." I said causing him to laugh.

"What the fuck is that?" He asked with a laugh. "I don't know, man. I just stay at home all day then go pick up the kids and try to make dinner. I miss the drugs and the violence. I miss it so much." I said as my phone buzzed with an unknown number calling.

"Yeah, but Julia is worth it right? Seeing her safe and sound instead of being taken by dangerous gangs." Sam said as I nodded, declining the call.

"Yeah. I love her and she's in her prime here. The way she cares for those kids is so admirable. I just feel like I'm holding her back." I said with a sigh.

"Why do you say that?" Sam asked as my phone rang again, the caller unknown.

"I'm just a loser who has no real talents other than being a gang leader. It's the only thing I have ever been good at." I said and declined the call coming in.

"That's not true. Maybe go to college and get a business degree. You know how businesses work." Sam said as I nodded.

"Yeah, I guess I'll think about it." I said quietly. "Good. I gotta go because Katrina wants to go shopping for Vegas. I'll call when I can." He said as I nodded.

"Talk to you later, man." I said then hung up the phone. I sighed then finished making my sandwhich before my phone started ringing again.

I rolled my eyes then finally answered it. "Hello?" I asked with a mildly annoyed tone. "Hi, is this Robert?" A woman asked as I scrunched my brow.