The signal song and awkward roommates

when did i get 100 plus people reading this

peak time is going to kill me istg

_____________________________________

Matthew was very charming, the song he performed capturing those charms perfectly. Unfortunately it wasn't enough to bring him to all star, most probably because of his vocals.

Sung Hanbin was an excellent dancer, it's undebatable. A man specialising in tutting and waacking was pretty rare, Sangwon knew it would get him points with the audience.

'Seulgi noona will probably vote for him, she's great at arms too.'

His song selection was also fitting, showing his best qualities. Unfortunately, like Matthew, he was lacking something and put in 3 star.

Redstart's trainees did pretty well. Junhyeon was about as chaotic as Sangwon thought he'd be and he had to take his in-ears out a couple times.

Osaka's team gave a solid performance with Keita shining the most. Sangwon was pretty intrigued by him and if given the chance would be happy to perform with him.

_____________________________________

There was a break time where the cameras would pan over to contestants for some kind of sexy time? Sangwon knew Mnet would be creepy but didn't expect it to be this early.

'Let's just hope Mnet does the bare minimum and not put the minors on the- oh for fucks sake they're doing that.' Sangwon muttered as Yujin was shown on the screen.

A few people later and then camera panned to Kim Jiwoong, a very attractive guy that stunned everyone with his face and aura. His groupmate Jongwoo decided to incite chaos by pretending to kiss him on the lips.

'No hetero explanation is possible for this.' Sangwon smirked at both the scene and at his thought.

After the break a group of individual trainees performed Mirotic by TVXQ. Let's just say they definitely did the song justice and no one was safe from their sexy charisma, Sangwon included as he bit his lip and tried not to blush.

Next was Takuto. Very cute and endearing, like a little brother.When Sangwon saw his face he thought he was a baby who needed protection from the cruel world.

When Takuto was performing and everyone else was smiling, Sangwon smiled too, but it was a sad smile; one with regret and longing.

'I wonder if she would have been happy like him.' his heart ached for his late sister. Sangwon took some deep breaths to calm himself after his evaluation.

WakeOne K group gave an energetic performance to The Real by Ateez. To Sangwon, Park Hanbin stood out the most and embodied the song the best, his all star ranking was deserved.

Finally, the big boss himself, Lee Hoetaek. His reason for joining the glorified popularity contest was quite heart wrenching and Sangwon could see his fire to perform again. Shutdown was a great song for him and his rearrangement proved his talent and defended his reputation, earning him all stars.

K group earned more stars than G group overall. Sangwon should've been happy but with how large the gap was he knew Mnet was rigging it somehow. K group earned the benefit of hearing the next mission's song and seeing the choreography a day earlier. With time being such a huge factor in survival shows it was a big benefit.

_____________________________________

All the trainees entered the hall and were sorted by their star ranking. At the from of the room were 10 mannequins with shirts on them.

'No offence to the designers but... these are ugly. Like why the line across the chest? And the material looks a little tacky.' Listen, when you're around fashionable idols 10 hours a day your standards for clothing get really high.

Sangwon grabbed a blue and purple all star shirt for himself and went back to his group. The masters came in and gave them a pep talk thing and introduced the signal song test. They instructed G group to leave which made Sangwon feel bad for them.

They played the choreography video and Sangwon tried to analyse and remember as much of it as he could. The song was upbeat and bright, the lyrics talking about the relationship between passionate rookie idols and their curious fans (my interpretation). Sangwon wasn't the best at these kind of concepts but his acting lessons weren't for nothing, he'll just have to wing it. The song itself was quite high, he had a feeling some trainees would struggle reaching the notes.

When the video ended, the room burst into chatter, everyone talking about how best to tackle the song. Sangwon didn't really want to talk to anyone but Seungeon found him anyway.

"It's a really fresh song hyung. I'm gonna enjoy watching you suffer with the brightness of it all." he said while giggling.

"Seungeon I'm going to kill you." Sangwon deadpanned.

"What? Why! You'll do great." Seungeon feigned an annoyed expression and was now laughing pretty hard. Sangwon was somewhat glaring at him.

"I'm going to cringe every time I have to do a cute expression or something..." Sangwon was a prideful person and he wanted to keep a cold persona up so when he leaves the show to debut no one would feel betrayed or anything.

Seungeon left to converse with his YueHua groupmates, leaving Sangwon alone to dwell on how to manage his facial expressions.

A few minutes later they were told to leave the hall to find their roommates and go to their rooms. Sangwon was used to roommates, he was a trainee. But it was still something he wasn't super comfortable with.

His roommates turned out to be Lee Daeul, Jang Minseo and Choi Woojin. They were all very quiet and awkward with each other but Sangwon would rather be with them than anyone super loud.

Sangwon finished unpacking first and after asking if anyone else wanted to shower first, washed up and changed into the set of pyjamas provided. He was really tired and just wanted to sleep as soon as possible. He climbed to the top bunk and placed his emotional support teddy bear next to him before pulling down his blindfold and falling asleep.

"Didn't expect him to still sleep with a teddy bear. He's really intimidating." Daeul whispered. Sangwon was an scary person to him.

He doesn't know of the many barriers and walls put up around his vulnerable soul.

Soon, the whole room was quiet and dark, everyone having fallen asleep.

_____________________________________
authors note

that's 1000 ish words this chapter

i'm writing this from memory and a recap video so idk who's rooming with who so take it with a grain of salt.

this is the bear Sangwon has, you'll find out why soon.

published: 16 April 2023 (my birthday gift to you!)

thank you for reading!