Learning the signal song and questions about the past

little earlier than i thought because i have two puppies ( @lee_jxde and @tinningtus ) looking at me begging for a chapter and i am weak

more writing with no references so stuff might be wrong and/or unrealistic
_____________________________________

Sangwon's brain decided that 6:43am would be a great time to wake up and no matter how hard he tried he couldn't go back to sleep.

'Might as well figure out where everything is right?' he thought as he put on his practice clothes, a thick jacket and shoes. He left the room as quietly as possible and walked along the corridors, taking note of the practice rooms, camera free spots and places to get fresh air.

He hummed what he could remember of the signal song while walking, trying to wake himself up a bit more. He found a balcony like area where he could see the snow fall and sat on the floor to enjoy the view.

The snow always reminded Sangwon of his parents; winter was their favourite season and they got married in February.

'I hope you guys are proud of me. I think I might experience an episode while I'm here and... I'm scared.' A feeling of melancholy was creeping up on Sangwon and he decided to go somewhere else before it overwhelmed him.

He found his way back to his dorm room where everyone else was starting to wake up.

"Where were you?" asked Woojin. He woke up to see Sangwon's bed deserted, with just his bear on his bed.

"Exploring the camp. You should too if there's time."

They didn't say anything after that as Sangwon left to eat breakfast at the cafeteria. There were about 20 other trainees already eating. He grabbed his tray and found an empty table to sit at.

'It's too early for social interaction.'

Thankfully no one interrupted his alone time, though some gave him curious looks. He quickly finished his breakfast and went back to the dorm to just relax.

The intercom instructed all trainees to go to the training hall at 9:00. Everyone was sorted into their star rankings and chattering about the signal song. Sangwon used the extra time to do his vocal warm ups.

Finally, the vocal masters arrived. Everyone was given lyric sheets to learn and they played the song for everyone to hear. After a couple of listens, everyone began to sing.

It was a bit sad hearing the number of voice cracks and out of tune notes everyone made since the song was so high. Sangwon started out slowly, matching his voice to the pitch and making sure his techniques were correct for each part. Vocals came naturally to him so he managed to finish practicing right when the masters asked to check some people's vocals.

'Now do I volunteer or not...' Sangwon was pretty torn here. If he messes up after volunteering he'd look like a fool, if he did well it might discourage the others. But he wanted to prove his skills, that's what he was here for right?

He avoided eye contact with the masters.

In the end, the masters called on many people, some who struggled and a couple who succeeded. Master OneStar was surveying the trainees, trying to find someone else who could show good vocals. He saw Sangwon looking rather relaxed as he practiced. He had found his target.

"Sangwon, could you show the others what you practiced? Do the whole thing. Our time's almost up you should have gotten it all by now."

Everyone looked at him. Sangwon was surprised by the sudden call-out but sang anyway. His voice was light but powerful, transitioning from chest voice to head voice smoothly. The bigger jump in pitch was done very well, with it sounding like a recording. The whole song was sang with no voice cracks, the correct techniques and on beat.