Chapter 21

A/N: I promise. I am working on this story. However, I have been working on others more. If you want me to update this before I actually do, feel free to tell me to update, but please give me about three days to do so.

Thanks

~Rissa

_______________________________________________________________________________

"Do you always have to cause a scene when you come in, Miss Rice?" Xander asked when we walked in. He gave Corbin an annoyed look before he looked at me, not even asking Corbin to pay up.

"Do you always have to be a dick?" I shot back, earning a few growls from the others gathered here. I glanced at them, unimpressed before I looked at Xander.

Xander shrugged and smirked. He took a sip of his drink and gestured for us to join the table. "It's fun to be a dick, though, Miss Rice. Don't you agree?" He winked, and a spark of amusement flashed through his eyes, not even caring that I called him a dick. "It gets people talking."

I rolled my eyes and scowled but didn't respond. I looked at the people that were gathered and was relieved that no one else was missing, nor killed, even though there were a couple of chairs that were "empty."

"So, I see that everything is to your standards?" Xander asked, amused when I turned my gaze towards him and instead of the people that were gathered. He raised an eyebrow and smirked when my scowl deepened and narrowed my eyes.

"Whatever," I grunted and walked to the table. I sat down with a huff and looked at the man who had the cards. "Deal me in." I reached into my jacket pocket and tossed a couple stacks of one hundred dollar bills into the middle of the table, and someone grabbed that while the guy with cards dealt me in.

"Jacket it off, Miss Rice," the same guy as last night said, and I rolled my eyes and scowled.

"Shut up, Aberforth," I said and took off my jacket. I set it on the back of the seat and scowled while I narrowed my eyes at him. "It's not like I was planning on doing anything... dangerous anytime soon."

Aberforth growled and glared, but he didn't do anything because Xander signalled him not to. He pursed his lips in disgust, and I knew that all he wanted to do was to kick my ass, even though we both knew that I would win.

"Now, now, Children," Xander said, and I growled at him in warning while I bristled. He smirked, amused. "Settle down, Kel. There is no need to act like a child. You know the rules."

I rolled my eyes and scowled but didn't say another word. I gestured for Corbin to sit at one of the booths, and without a word, he did.

"Now, didn't you want him to join in the conversation?" Xander asked. He looked at Corbin while someone pushed the cards to me before he looked at me with a raised eyebrow. He smirked and cocked his head closer to his chest. "It would make things... interesting to say the least."

"He is under strict orders not to interfere with my business unless he wants his dick to come off," I replied coldly. "His duty is to observe and to report."

Xander looked at Corbin and then at me before he raised an eyebrow higher. "King's orders?" he asked, and I nodded in confirmation. "Hmph." He smirked, and I scowled and narrowed my eyes because I did not like the way he looked at me.

"Give me a beer," I said to an Omega, and the Omega instantly went off to get me one. I moved a hand through my hair and sighed while I leaned back in my seat and looked at Xander with a raised eyebrow.

Xander raised his eyebrow and cocked his head while he studied me. "What?" he asked. He threw a chip in the middle, and the game was off again. "Is something wrong?"