Chapter 41

"So," Simon said while he sat down at his desk before he cleared his throat, and Corbin and I sat on the other side of his desk. "What can I do for the two of you?" he asked and raised an eyebrow in question.

I sighed and moved a hand across my face before I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat. "How would you feel about being a dummy?" I asked, and his other eyebrow went up to meet the other.

"A dummy?" he asked, and I nodded in confirmation. He blinked and blinked again before he looked at Corbin, and then he looked at me with another raised eyebrow. "Explain."

I licked my lips and cleared my throat while I leaned back in my seat while I shifted in my seat ever so slightly. "Do you recall me telling you that Lukas was a Vesper?" I asked and raised an eyebrow in question, and he nodded in confirmation.

"I do," he confirmed out loud and nodded again.

"Well, there is another one."

"Another?" he asked and raised the other eyebrow again, and I nodded in confirmation and stayed silent. "Another child?"

Again, I nodded and pressed my lips into a thin line while I looked at him.

Simon blinked and blinked again before he cleared his throat and shifted in his seat. "Well?" he asked and moved a hand through his hair and across his face before he cleared his throat again and shook his head. "Where is he?" He raised an eyebrow in question while he studied us.

"She is staying at the castle," I replied before I leaned back in my seat and folded my arms across my chest, pressing my lips into a thinner line. "She doesn't want to be in a pack."

Simon blinked and blinked again before he furrowed his brows and cocked his head. "So you put her with the king? Is she a Rogue?"

"I put her with Tally, not with the king, for the time being," I replied. "However, she is a Rogue and wants to stay that way."

"No," Corbin said slowly with a shake of his head, and I shot him an annoyed look while he smiled. "She wants to stay with you, Kel. If you go with a pack, then she will go with a pack."

"Really, now?" Simon asked and raised an eyebrow while he looked at me. He cocked his head and studied me, looking very impressed. "Does that mean you are going to be in a pack?"

I pressed my lips into a thin line and stayed silent.

Simon rolled his eyes and scowled before he looked at Corbin with a raised eyebrow. "Well?" he asked and cocked his head, studying him.

"Well, what?" Corbin asked and raised an eyebrow, too.

"What is it? What is the great Miss Rice hiding?"

"A lot," Corbin said, and I rolled my eyes and scowled, pressing my lips into a thinner line. "She is hiding a lot."

Simon didn't respond, and his scowl deepened while he narrowed his eyes.

I sighed and closed my eyes a little before I pursed my lips in annoyance while I leaned against the back of my seat. "Well, I am mated to an Alpha," I said, finally.

"Really, now?" Simon asked and his other eyebrow met the raised one, and he looked shocked and impressed that I was mated to an Alpha. "Who?"

"It doesn't matter, for now," I said and waved my hand slightly with a dismissive shake of my head. "He is close to the main Vesper we are looking for."

"But you don't know who that Vesper is, do you?" he asked, and Corbin and I looked at each other before we looked at him with a blank look on our face. "Do you?"