Chapter 39

I drove my truck to Simon's packhouse while Corbin sat in the passenger seat, glancing at me every so often while I drove.

He sighed and looked out the window before he peeked over at me to see what my reaction was before he looked away again and did it another time.

Finally, after the third time he sighed and looked out the window before he peeked at me again, I growled and slammed my hand against the steering wheel, and he flinched in "surprise" at how "aggressive" I became.

"For the love of Goddess," I snapped, and he looked at me with wide eyes and tried to portray an innocent person, not doing a single thing. "What the fuck do you want, Corbin? Stop trying to be an asshole and say what you want from me."

Corbin stared at me with his wide, innocent gaze and cocked his head to the side, still pretending to be innocent. "I didn't want anything," he said with a shake of his head before he furrowed his brows in confusion. "Why would I want something?"

I scowled and narrowed my eyes while I looked at him before I turned my attention back to the winding road and gripped the steering wheel tighter. "Because I know that you are wanting something, Corbin," I replied coldly. "You wouldn't be acting like a dick if you weren't."

Corbin shrugged and looked away, biting back an amused smile. "Well, I am always a dick, Kel," he said, "so your point is invalid."

I growled a small warning, and he looked at me and gave me a cheeky grin that I so badly wanted to wipe off his face but couldn't. "You are more of a dick when you want something from someone, so spit it out."

"Well," he said slowly, and I growled again, and he smirked. "If you must know, I was wondering what Clemson wanted to talk to you about. I find it... a bit odd that he wanted to speak to you privately while his mate was still in the same vicinity as us."

I glanced at him and narrowed my eyes while I pursed my lips in annoyance. "Are you implying that he is a cheater?" I asked, and Corbin snorted and rolled his eyes.

"Please," he said and rolled his eyes again. "I know that you aren't a cheater, and I know that Clemson won't cheat on his mate." He shrugged and grimaced. "However, you two have been quiet with each other, and I want to know why."

I bit back a sigh and dipped my head closer to my chest, weighing the pros and cons before I cleared my throat and tapped on my steering wheel. "He wanted to be under my command," I said, finally, "so I put him under my command."

"What?"

I glanced at him and saw him look at me with an opened mouth and wide eyes, shocked. I rolled my eyes and scowled while I looked at the road. "Oh for the love of Goddess, don't look at me like that."

"But you put him under your command. Why?"

"He asked to be under it," I replied before I shrugged and grimaced, not sure what the problem was. "I also asked for permission, so it's not like I did it on my own free will."

"You asked for permission?" Corbin asked, and I nodded in confirmation. He furrowed his brows and cocked his head while he stared at me. "Whose permission did you ask for?" he asked.

"Tallys," I replied instantly. "I didn't want her to get mad at me if she found out that I had put him under my control."

He furrowed his brows further while he stared at me. "Then why did you do it?"

"Again," I said, annoyed. "Clemson asked me to do it. He wanted me to put him under my command for the remainder of his time as Grand Beta, but I didn't want to do it."